Young Lad Needing some help.Howard Gem. JAP 600SV

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Young Lad Needing some help.Howard Gem. JAP 600SV

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello, my first post! my name is Ben from South Yorkshire and im 20! (feels like a gameshow ha)

Recently into my possession fell a JAP 600 side valve from what I believe is a Howard Gem Rotavator.

My aim is to rebuild the engine and build it into a cool custom motorcycle, however.
    It has attached to the LHS on the engine a big orange flywheel and the body it sits in, now to remove this i’m guessing a puller is involved as I can see two bolts holes front and center but my problem is I can find two bolts that screw into them my garage.

So my question is how do I remove this massive flywheel? a special tool? any help or advice is extremely appreciated.

trusty220
    Keymaster

A photograph would be a great help to identify the type of flywheel. I’m guessing it would be off a Howard Gem.

vhgmcbuddy

Photos added i can see a fly wheel puller is needed but anyone know how big/ which one/type is needed. thank you.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Now you’ve removed the nut, I find the easiest way to remove the flywheel is to undo the 6 nuts holding the Orange airshroud in place on the opposite side of the engine and then give the shroud a couple of clonks with a soft hammer. Maybe not the correct way but very effective.

vhgmcbuddy

Will give it a go now, thank you S1.

vhgmcbuddy

No joy, tried that aswell as many others. its really on the crankshaft. can someone link me to the correct type puller please?

vhgmcbuddy

You’ll probably have to make one. What you need is a bit of thick flat plate( or angle will do) with 3 holes drilled in it. Weld a nut on the centre one so you can thread a bolt in to push on the end of the crank, the get 2 bolts the same thread as is tapped in the flywheel, I can’t find my book at the moment so can’t find what the thread is but do you know anyone with a set of thread gauges?
    When the tension is on you may have to whack the centre bolt to shock the flywheel off the taper.

vhgmcbuddy

They will come off if you keep at it.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Quick update for anyone checking this out in the future, got it off finally with thanks to £14 harmonic puller from ebay, works perfectly. all the best.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.