Wolseley Titan 1978 No H/T Spark

Home Forums General Help and information Wolseley Titan 1978 No H/T Spark

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Guys I have a 1978 Wolseley Titan Rotovator that has given years of great service but has now developed a fault.
    It has no H/T spark & infact I have now misplaced the H/T coil so I need a new one but have no idea what the part number is to get on off the internet so unable to order one.
    Can you help with a supplier please ? Regards Ian

wristpin
    Participant

I’m guessing that you have a Briggs and Stratton engine ? If so, stamped into the blower housing ( the shroud that carries the recoil starter) you should find the words Model, Type and Code. Below each word you should find a series of numbers. Assuming thayour engine still has the original housing, those numbers will identify it right down to the day it was made and even the production shift.
    This will determine the coil that you need. Pre ‘79 it is likely to be a points ignition magneto – that is, under the flywheel will be contact breaker points and a condenser. The good news is that a modern Magnetron, electronic ignition coil may be fitted, without having to dig around under the flywheel. Even better, most small engine / mower repair shops will have a box of good coils removed from scrap engines .

Example only, your numbers will probably be on the vertical face behind the carburettor.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Wristpin thanks for your reply, I couldn’t see a number where you mentioned but there is this number 006063 on the data plate, is that the one ? there is also a number stamped on the engine which I cant read yet as its quite rusty where someone has previously rubber the paint off. regards Ian

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Now I think I’ve got what were looking for ? it was stamped on the side of the recoil cover.

Model Type Code
    130202 0788-01 79041907

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

This information may help see B&S website

vhgmcbuddy

That interesting, if I’m reading it correctly it was manufactured on 19th April 1979 ? and its 13 cubic inch etc etc.
    Can you tell me for that information what ignition coil I need ?
    Regards Ian

wristpin
    Participant

Your numbers indicate that you have a points ignition 5HP engine that would have been fitted with a 397398 coil which has been replaced by a 397358 Magnetron electronic coil that does away with the need for the points and condenser and may be fitted without removing the flywheel.Roughly £40 + vat)for a genuine BS one.
    As per per my earlier post, you may well be able to pick up a good used one from a engine scrapped for some other reason. What you need is Magnetron coil from a 5HP 13**** series engine (either vertical or horizontal crank). Before you go shopping, carefully measure and note the distance between the coil supporting pillars on your block and check it against any coil that you are offered as there are fractional differences between engine sizes.
    A quick measure on a 5Hp block in my workshop (dark and snowing!!) is approx 59mm BUT PLEASE CHECK FOR YOURSELF.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi wristpin your correct about the 59/60mm, there is this B&S genuine coil on ebay for £42.99
    (e bay link removed by admin)
    GENUINE-BRIGGS-AND-STRATTON-IGNITION-COIL-OEM-397358/230597675410?

vhgmcbuddy

But I decided to buy this one from China for £9.46 with free P&P only problem is it take 3-4 weeks for delivery. (e bay link removed by admin)
    Electronic-Ignition-Coil-5-HP-For-Briggs-and-Stratton-397358-5-HP-Engines-Model/142832951017?

vhgmcbuddy

Well my £9.46 ignition coil arrived from China and guess what ? it was wrong, the mounting holes were 64mm apart rather than 59mm.
    So I ordered a genuine one from a dealer at a cost of £45 and guess what ? it was made in China.
    Anyway my rotavator started 1st pull despite standing for over 2 years & having stale fuel.
    Lastly a big thanks to this forum & especially wristpin for his help.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Good to know it is up and running.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.