WESTO?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve got some Smallholder Magazines from 1960 and they’ve nearly all got a full page advert for a Westo push hoe. It’s clearly a Jalo, does anyone know where the Westo came in? I’ve attached the advert….

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

There are some other Jalo adverts that I’ve just put on the Jalo archive – haven’t done the actual equipment yet.

Very similar types of adverts for the Jalo and Westo!

Jalo

stevewoollas
    Participant

An interesting development in the Jalo story.
    I notice the Westo is available from Westbourne Garden Centre and that although the address is in the Bournemouth area quite different to the advertised addresses for the Jalo company.
    I suspect this is a form of platform manufacturing or OEM branding, a practice which still occurs today. This is where a manufacturer will produce one product which is then marketed and sold under several brand names, usually with one brand name allocated to each different outlet.
    In the case of the Jalo Gardener it would be interesting to discover whether the wording “Jalo Gardener” was retained on the cast aluminium tool frame, or the wording changed to read “Westo” or left blank. The other point of brand identification on the Jalo was the “Jalo” sticker on the handles which could easily be substituted with an alternative brand.

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve seen a lot of Jalos but never a Westo so I guess that they never changed the name on the casting. I’ve got a couple with the sticker on, as you say that would be easy to change…

trustymasseyman
    Participant

I’m sure it is safe to say that the Jalo gardener words were left off and the area left blank. I do have one in my collection. I understand that Jalo used a foundry in Southampton area to cast all their aluminum items, which isn’t a million miles from Bournemouth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.