Villiers engine on Anzani Lawn rider

Home Forums General Help and information Villiers engine on Anzani Lawn rider

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have just purchased my Lawnrider knowing that it had been left for years and didn’t run
    I have checked over the mag cleaning the points and checking the capacitor but can’t be certain that the timing is right as I couldn’t find any instructions.
    The carb was badly blocked up but both the jets are now cleared and flowing test fluid. It does need a new gasket that I have ordered.
    I can get it to fire and sometimes multiple fires so the ignition can’t be far out but it will not run
    Help please

vhgmcbuddy

Update on above
    After many many pulls the number of fires increased until it ran for at least a minute before stopping. The throttle was fully open but the speed only rose a small amount and the governor flap did not attempt to operate.
    Suspect it maybe significantly retarded.
    There is an arrow on the flywheel which I have aligned to TDC as there is no marker to align it to anywhere on the block or crankcase as far as I can see

vhgmcbuddy

Here is picture of the engine

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Looks like a Villiers Lightweight, see if this helps
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w8hkrr7k14y8od/Villiers%20Lightweight%20overhaul0001.pdf?dl=0

EDIT sorry it won’t!! I’ll sort something else out.

This should!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnqkmtpxpx6yay9/Villiers%20Lightweight%20ignition0001.pdf?dl=0

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks for this. It certainly looks a lightweight. Does it have a numbertype other than 512/515 there is plate on it saying 103E I think
    The timing info was useful but didn’t give the actual values for this engine. I think the data is on page 7. Any chance of sending ?

wristpin
    Participant

Timing data etc
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xr8b7gkavl2x4e/Villiers%20lightweight%20data0001.pdf?dl=0

Sorry, had assumed that you would find the marker on the back plate.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks, you are a life saver for my machine

vhgmcbuddy

The engine very occasionally will now burst into healthy life but stop after a few seconds otherwise it won’t start

Spinning it with my electric drill shows that spark voltage is only 4kvolts. Seems far too low to me. Apart from a new mag coil (25055) is there any cure?
    And if not where can get a good one from?

charlie
    Keymaster

I have found if a magneto is suspect it is far easier to change coil, condenser and points all at the same time. A more expensive way to solve problem but it does mean everything is new and should give years of trouble free running. Also only requires setting timing once.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.