V1 C Villiers engine on an Allen

Home Forums General Help and information V1 C Villiers engine on an Allen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I am having a little problem with my Allen, just got it out of storage and didn’t start so I stripped the mag and cleaned the points. Good spark but will not rev with any gusto.
    It is the first time I have had this engine down and the only difference I found with this engine was a small counter weight on the outside face of the flywheel, I didn’t recognise it as any useful piece so I removed it.
    Would this useless piece actually cause the engine to run rough?

andyfrost
    Participant

Phil ,if you mean the cam on the inside of the flywheel (the part that opens the points) the “counterweight” as you describe it is actually the engine govenor system , the idea being that centrifugal force operates and opens the points too wide for a spark.
    Allen Scythes were the only machines that I have seen that use this method , the 25c fitted later also deployed this method.
    They will sound rough running without any load , put them into some serious work and they will even themselves out.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Andy, The weight was on the outside of the flywheel, when I first saw it I thought it was the cover to allow access to the points. It had a spring that was pushing on a screw that seemed to serve no purpose.
    The running of the machine is a mystery. The machine runs like on tick over and the speed improves very little when I open the throttle, I have no book for this engine, looks like the 147cc and I first set the points at 3/16″ TDC but changed to 1/8″ because of backfires and I couldn’t start it. I would be happy if the throttle made a noticeable difference.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.