unknown rotavator

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dave
    Participant

Hi.
    I have just been given the remains of a rotavator. dose anyone have any idea what make it is?

dave
    Participant

sorry. photos will come latter once my IT Technician has sorted them out.

trusty-mad
    Participant

IT Technician supplying photos.

Attachments:
    dorigny
    Participant

I think it’s a Flymo DM. I believe the front lever is to do with a barrow body that could be fitted when wheels would replace the tines. The handles were attached via a bracket onto the cylinder head bolts.

Almost the same chassis was used by Westwood with a Suffolk cast iron engine…was it the Gemini.?

Clive.

hortiman
    Participant

It looks like the Flymo colour used in that period, so I think that could well be the answer.

dorigny
    Participant

Link from the Allotment and Garden equipment forum.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals/flymo-cultivator-manual-1.pdf

C.

dave
    Participant

Many thanks for your help. Restoration now possible and under way.

wristpin
    Participant

Almost certainly a Flymo DM and, yes, that lever was the release for the tipping body attachment. Many of the Flymo cultivators were derived from the Norlett models but most (all?) of those had split chaincases . As has been said that welded chaincase is reminiscent of the Westwood Gemini.
    Presume that the engine blower housing with the recoil is missing, but if it’s in a box of bits it should have the BS Model, Type and Code Numbers on it. The Code number will date the engine to the day of manufacture which will give an approximate build date for the chassis. If you have that, I have possibly got the appropriate DM illustrated Parts manual.

dorigny
    Participant

With the link to the Westwood Gemini this leads me to wonder who actually made and assembled these tillers.?

Moving up a size, thinking of the larger Westwood tillers. Was there a link between Westwood, Templar, older Qualcast Cultimatic.?..thinking of the welded chassis and handle styles.?

Clive.

wristpin
    Participant

I believe that there was a link between Westwood and Templar but don’t quote me without some corroboration. Westwood was founded by Gerry Hazelwood and I believe that his brother was the man behind Templar. They also made a hover mower.
    Just a point of order – Rotavator ( spelt that way) is / was the trade mark of Howards. What you have there is a rotary cultivator or even a rotorvator !

dorigny
    Participant

Thank you for the info ref the founders of Westwood and Templar. I love trying to tie up these such links even though it’s now 26+ years since my employment in the garden machinery world.

I remember the blue Templar Turbo, thence became yellow Crown.?..then maybe Allen.?

Clive.

dave
    Participant

I stand corrected ref the Rotavator trade name.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.