Stanhay Straddle Carrier

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Stanhay Straddle Carrier

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    franktonpaget
    Participant

In another Power Farming magazine I read as sorting through was a article about increased mechanisation in the Fruit growing industry and mentioned the Stanhay Straddle carrier which I think comes within the scope of VHGMC
    Designed and built by Stanhay in Kent using Landrover Components they could carry six fruit storage bins from field to store over rough ground without risk of damage to the fruit.
    I cannot quite visualise a machine that straddled the fruit box and lifted it clear of the ground for transportation, I suppose it must have been a mini version of the machines that lift containers in freight ports
    By co-incidence one of these machines came up on a well known auction site recently and the advert stated only two had been produced. I hope it was purchased for restoration. My imagination runs away with me but imagine that being road legal pulling up at the traffic lights in one of these straddle carriers , but then I have always been drawn to the unusual
    regards Joe Paget

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Interesting, I wonder what Land Rover components they used? Looking at the photo it may have only been engine and gearbox.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.