Ransomes MG2 #551

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Ransomes MG2 #551

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Went to have a chat with my painter today, enquired about my mg2 painting, he doesn’t recognise Orwell blue or even nacton blue.
    Does anyone know the bs or equivalent number for Orwell blue as I may get my plough done first.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Dave, most of the usual paint suppliers list Orwell blue (craftmaster, tractol etc) the tin I just got is Kramp brand bought through Westlake ploughs.
    Joe

vhgmcbuddy

Am really looking for a paint code as I am hoping to get a bit of a special paint job.
    Old machine bought into the 21st century. No messy dusty tedious hours and filling and sanding to get a smooth surface for me. Put it this way it comes with a twenty year guarantee.

charlie
    Keymaster

Problem with a lot of the old colours is they did not have RAL or Pantone codes as far as I know.

vhgmcbuddy

May have to buy a tin just to do some colour matching. I know i am probably taking this far too deep than i need to, but i am very much like my grandfather. “Do it right, do it once as time and materials are too expensive to waste”

expeatfarmer
    Participant

When rebuilding 137 I took some parts that still retained the original colour to a paint shop with a colour scanner and they matched up to a RAL code I will dig it out. As a very early machine from 1936 I think that the colour changed on later MG 2.

andyfrost
    Participant

Nacton or Orwell blue do not appear in the the standard RAL numbers , but any respectable paint dealer should be able to give you the match required.
    Diesel Dave , I would be extremely wary of anyone who says they will give you a 20yr guarantee, even on brand new metal that would be a bit of a tall story.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Andy, its not really a ‘painting’ process, hopefully he can get it zinc phosphate etched with a two pack epoxy resin stopper filler, baked off to pre shrink then da’d back for top coat of powder and final baking.
    I trust Chris, he has been in business over 35 years, i will hopefully get my plough done first to test colour match and durability.
    Does anyone know what year the colour changed? I think my ransomes was originally the darker blue (orwell?) as i have found remains of dark blue under the later hand painted lighter blue (nacton)

ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    I am sure there will be a lot of opinions on this but as stated by Jonathan there was an early change in colour from his researched light blue/green colour to Nacton blue which is the pale cornflower shade. I know there are some opinions that Orwell was on the MG2 and Nacton on the MG5 onward but all the NOS components I have in stock for MG5 / 6 / 40 are in the Orwell blue but in an eggshell finish. I believe there were some very early MG5 machines painted in Nacton.
    The Orwell blue is as near as is reasonable the same as Ford Tractor Blue (Not Empire Blue) The red is Rood Red which is as near as is reasonable the same as the Old Massey Ferguson Red.
    Sorry I do not have any RAL numbers and have only seen restored machines painted with a gloss finish. The white pinstripe was about 1/8″ wide.
    At the end of the day it is your tractor and personal choice on the finish applied.
    Neil

joegrgraham
    Participant

Hi all.
    Progress on 551 has been non-existent of late, mainly due to it being cold, dark and wet (and a lack of beer tokens!).
    Currently at a bit of an impasse waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can do some painting.
    Anyway, I ventured into the shed today and had a look at the PTO unit.
    The drive shift has a lot of play, so I presume that the bearing needs replacing, but how do I get at it? Am I right to presume that the gear pulls off?
    Secondly, the PTO engagement unit looks to have a seal, again, how do the parts separate?.
    Lastly, I noticed that the detent ball is missing, any ideas what size it should be?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Finally, after a long winter hiatus, I managed to get the first coat of paint on the Ransomes today (I am also blue due to an ill-timed gust of wind).

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.