Ransomes MG oil seals – which way round?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes MG oil seals – which way round?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello all

I’ve undertaking a very slow-cooking (about 10 years so far!) MG6 restoration, and I’m getting ready to reassemble hubs, main drives, idler wheels etc (replacing worn out bearings and renewing oil seals)

I seem to remember reading a post somewhere about the need to ensure seals get put in the “wrong” way round, i.e. with the retaining spring facing outwards, so that as the bearing is pumped full of oil it can push past the seal.

Did I remember this correctly? Does this apply to all seals in the running gear? I’ve got the rear hubs, idler wheels and the large 6″ diameter seals on the final drive covers to do at the moment.

vhgmcbuddy

I beleive it is spring to the oil

charlie
    Keymaster

Neil Jarrett is the man for answers on this subject.

ransomes256
    Participant

Parsnip.
    You are correct the oil seals in the weight carrying rollers, rear wheel hubs and front drive hubs are all to be installed in reverse to normal practice. (spring facing out) It is designed so the oil opens the seal and pushes the dirt away then closes down to keep it out. Any mud pushing against the seal then forces it down tighter. This is why you should never use grease as this will hold the seal open and let the dirt in. Additionally grease in these slow moving parts only works on initial fill as once moved away does not return to where needed. The heavy oil EP140 flows especially in the main side drive gearboxes where the hub gear paddles around lifting the oil to distribute it to all the bearings and gears.
    The oil seals in the engine, reduction and main gearbox, plus PTO are all the conventional way round to keep the oil in.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for confirming Neil – I will proceed with confidence! 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.