Mountfield 6/25 help needed!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Mountfield 6/25 help needed!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello everyone –
    I have just acquired a Mountfield 6/25 ride-on mower from (I think) around 1970.
    It runs OK but has some issues. The idea is to get it going sufficiently well to mow my father in law’s lawn as he has a huge garden and is getting on in years. ie the mower needs to work, although I admit that a secondary function would be for my daughters to drive around on it!
    If it goes well we might invest in a newer machine.
    I love the 70s styling so I am enjoying the project. Reminds me of my old Chopper bicycle.
    Main problems are a badly rusted deck and blade as you might expect.

I am considering a repair of the deck with fibreglass unless someone has any other advice?
    Also any ideas where to obtain a new blade? Are generic ones available?
    Any chance of a manual or parts diagram from somewhere?

Many thanks to all!

Richard

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Have you tried your local garden machinery repairer? Have a look at Garfitts they do a huge range of parts.

wristpin
    Participant

Fibre glass, maybe with some mesh reinforcement, should be ok around the skirt but if there is rot on the top where the blade bearings are mounted I suggest that metal and welding are the order of the day.
    Your Mountfield is basically an American Murray so that spreads the net a bit when sourcing parts.
    As has been suggested, Garfitts are a possible source of chassis parts – they list a blade G22-031, original Murray part 20083 but you need to be sure about the centre hole. From memory, some were round and were rectangular with rounded ends – known as “double D”.
    I’m guessing that it has a Briggs and Stratton engine ? No problem with BS parts. belts should not be an issue but some machines only functioned correctly with Original Equipment belts and were difficult with cheaper ones of nominally the same size from local belt and bearing merchants.
    Talking of bearings, I seem to remember that the cutting spindle bearings were OEM specials and difficult or impossible to match with cheaper off the shelf items.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.