Magneto Repair

Home Forums General Help and information Magneto Repair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

Unfortunately the Wipac Series A mag on one of my SIMARS has stopped sparking. I’ve done all the usual home checks with no luck. Looks like a refurb needed. As it looks likely I’ll have to remortgage the house to pay for it, any recommendations as to a good restorer?
    Thanks
    Peter

vhgmcbuddy

Peter,

Why don’t you have a crack at it yourself? I did a step by step photo guide in my 56a restoration post (http://vhgmc.co.uk/forums/topic/simar-56a-rototiller-serial-no-561621/page/2/). Most difficult bit for me was removing the drive gear, as you need to use a puller. I bought a cheap bearing puller set. I bought a new coil from The Brillman Company in the US, as even with shipping, VAT and import duty, it was still cheaper than buying in the UK, although the exchange rate was better at the time!! Coil is listed as being for a Wico C Series, but the C-Series used the same coil as the A Series.

Sean

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks Sean. I’ll certainly try the Easycap. I’ve already got it half stripped down so I might as well keep going now I know I can also get the coil. Having revisited your post, I’m amazed how detailed it is. Any chance really useful stuff like this could be collated in the members download section Alan? It could form the start of a handy library of information.
    Peter

andyfrost
    Participant

Peter , they’re probably Britains most common magneto , are your bearings OK ?? . if so I would go down the secondhand route , it shouldn’t be difficult at all to source a used working one and simlpy change the internals over…job done , and you’ll save a packet.

Andy.

roatavator
    Participant

As I’m this far stripped down Andy, I’ve decided to keep at it. Now that I know I can get condenser and coil if needed I’m pressing on! I didn’t think they’d be readily available at reasonable money but thanks to Sean I know better. I’d far sooner do the job myself if possible. Bearings seem fine. I’m pretty sure it’s condenser or coil. Jr delivering meter tomorrow so I should know more then. (I know, I ought to buy one for me!)
    Peter

andyfrost
    Participant

Lo and behold , there’s a fully working one just a few miles from yours for auction.

Andy.

roatavator
    Participant

Just saw that, Andy. But I’ve now tested condenser, which shows no reading at all. So I’ve ordered Easycap. Thanks Sean, didn’t think condenser would be so easy to get. Maybe the plough will be coming to Weeley after all!

charlie
    Keymaster

I have data sheet with exploded parts diagram for the WICO A if you need one.

merry-tiller
    Participant

For coil rewinds try Dave Hall of Barnstones,Shenington Road ,Upper Tysoe Warwickshire CV35 0TG tel 01295 680547
    His ebay persona is 384dave

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks Charlie. I’ve taken plenty of photos so should be ok. And found a download on the net.
    And thanks also James. Good to have a recommendation! Actually looking at the USA site recommend by Sean, you can probably pick up a new coil quicker and cheaper than having a rewind!
    I’ll let you know how I get on with the condenser.
    Peter

ransomes256
    Participant

Peter,
    I keep most of the parts to repair the Wico A including, condensers, points, coils etc.
    Remember cleanliness is very important and check you get the insulation correct where the stop button contacts are.
    If you have a multimeter an indication of coil condition is to check from the HT tag to the earth terminal you should have a reading of about 5 k ohm.

Neil

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks very much Neil. I’ll check coil when I put condenser in. If need be I’ll be in touch!
    Peter

roatavator
    Participant

You may have gathered from my post the other week that I got the 56 plough magneto working by rebuilding it using parts from a second hand magneto I had bought. I bought the mag as I didn’t have much success with the Easycap. Anyway, I’d also got a duff mag on the 35. As it was raining this afternoon I stripped that down, cleaned everything, replaced the condenser with the Easycap. Lo and behold, a healthy spark!
    I must be learning!
    Hopefully a post of the 35 running tomorrow if I have time to fit it. Just to say if I can do it anyone can, so don’t be afraid to have a go!

roatavator
    Participant

Here it is. Took some time to reassemble as space much more limited than on 56, so had to have carb off to access mag fixings.

charlie
    Keymaster

Sounds sweet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.