Magneto repair or replace WICO – Gem JAP engine

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Magneto repair or replace WICO – Gem JAP engine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello all,

Another year – and I still havent got my Howard Gem going. I have no spark that I can tell.

It’s a JAP 600cc engine, with a WICO type A1041Bz and the serial number is E991458.

I called a magneto repair place and they quoted £350 to overhaul it, which is twice the cost of the whole machine so obviously that’s not happening.

I’m need to get a gear-puller to remove the chain cog and then I can remove the magneto and bring it inside for bench testing.

Is there anything i can do to check for simple repairs? Is it possible to buy replacement parts for these?

Or, does anyone know where I can get hold of a one that is proven to be working so that I can work out if that is what is wrong…..

Thanks Tim

roatavator
    Participant

Before going too far with disassembly, have you had cover off mag to check points are clean, working and at right gap? Just a thought, might save a lot of work. If that’s ok then next suspect is probably condenser. Members of the forum have these spare, or you could try Easycap which I’ve done and it works well.
    I’ve repaired two mags now, I’m certainly no expert, if I can do it I’m sure anyone can! Like you I didn’t fancy the cost of the expert rebuild.
    Good luck!

ransomes256
    Participant

Tim,
    The Wico A is an easy magneto to overhaul.
    As above check the points are clean and that there is an insulator strip around the ouside of the points spring. Make sure the stop tabs / buttons are not shorted. Plus of course it is dry.
    The chances are it is the condenser that has failed.
    I can supply new points and condensers if you need them.
    A simple check on the coil (not a full check) is with a multimeter measure HT to ground which should be in the region of 5k ohm.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Okay thanks very much – Its been in the shed for a year or so now, so is dry. Last time I summoned the energy to try and get it going I had cleaned the points with wet n dry and set the gap, new spark plug, new length of HT lead with a new contact cap on….. and not a sausage (or at least, no spark…). I’ll have it on the bench at the weekend and can give it another solid test, but it’s encouraging to know that it’s possible to get new parts.

Neil – could you send me some contact details and costs please of points and condenser, posted. Thanks again,

TIm

ransomes256
    Participant

Tim,
    Sorry should have put my email so you can contact me.
    I handle all the spares for the Ransomes MG crawlers.
    njarrett@btinternet.com
    Neil

charlie
    Keymaster

Also worth checking good contact between coil and HT lead where the two meet in cap. There is a tag on coil which makes contact with HT lead connection in cap.

vhgmcbuddy

Neil – thanks for the condenser replacement, all arrived safe and sound. I ran out of time at the weekend so hope to take a look at it later this week….

vhgmcbuddy

Okay…. we’re in business! Neil – thanks for the condenser replacement, i’ve replaced it and given the points a polish while I’m at it and there’s a good spark now when holding the HT lead to ground.

Just need to get back to the allotment and get it back on the machine…. re-do the timing…. fresh petrol…. moment of truth.

Watch this space (although doubt it will be for a while yet).

Thanks for your help this far.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.