Landmaster numbering

Home Forums General Help and information Landmaster numbering

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Happy new year to all
    I have a question does anyone know how to date a landmaster machine I have an old JAP engined 150 serial number 9150708 manufactured in Hucknel with it is letter regarding some spare parts dated 1963 a 1960 price list and a 1962 operators manual so i am presuming that the machine is around that time but how do you arrive at an exact date?

vhgmcbuddy

Forgot to mention it was originally supplied by Shukers of Shrewsbury

charlie
    Keymaster

If it has the original JAP engine then it should be possible to get the year from the engine number. JAP used a letter to indicate year. See JAP engine numbering

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you very much for the link looks like it’s 1959 as it’s a G stamped on the crank case 16H/G/763/2.The original owner must have purchased the plough and Tarpen gear in the 60’s although I surpose the engine could have been in Landmaster’s store for a bit and mounted to the frame in the early 60’s.
    One more question has any one got a link to a 16H engine manual?
    Regards Len

trusty220
    Keymaster

It is quite possible that the engine could have stayed in stock for twelve months or more, either in stock with the manufacturer or with Landmaster. There are some large discrepancies with the Trusty numbering, and it is probably down to the factory “Doing a deal” to buy up any old stock that may be hanging around at the engine manufacturer’s.

A great case in point is the distribution of Norton engines. By looking at the numbering it looks like a large batch of engines (probably war-surplus) was bought and put on the shelf to be used over a prolonged period.

Don’t always use the engine number as gospel- it is a good starting point if nothing else is available, but it can be misleading in such cases.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I’ve been having a ferret around this afternoon and all I could find is a very worn copy of a parts list which has a torn front cover with part of the listing for the carburretor missing. The wording on the front says, “J.A.P. Model 16H Two-Stroke engine as fitted to Landmaster Model L150”, so it sounds like the engine that you’ve got.

If you want me to scan it send me a PM with your email address on and I will send it to you as an attachment.

Geoff

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you very much for your help I will PM you shortly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.