Iseki KS280

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello, new to the club here, came across your site while looking for some info on an Iseki KS280 cultivator. My local Menshed have an example that we are tinkering with, having a view to getting it running for use in the Polytunnel. Ignition stripped and cleaned, decent spark now. Carb cleaned and ready to try. Fuel tank knackered, but think we can rig something up even if just to trial run in mean time.
    did have a few technical questions I wondered if anyone could help with. Believe it to be a mix ratio of 25:1 for the 2-stroke. Not sure of grade of oil to be used in the engines reduction gear box (fitted to it’s side), nor for the second main gearbox (chain casing??) the bit that the rotating tines attach to. also this second gearbox looks like it has a selector type handle at the back & did see a photo somewhere that seemed to hint that it does have two gears. Our handle does not seem to want to move, still tinkering with this, so not fully investigated, but any hints as to how this should operate? The handle section does seem to pivot on it’s shaft, does it have a cam type action to operate?? Any pointers would be appreciated.

andyfrost
    Participant

The KS 280 is a VERY good machine , I like them far more than a Merry Tiller. The engine runs on 25/1 , 90 grade for the engine reduction box and the same for the main gearcase. The lever you refer to is the gear selector , it gives two forward and a reverse.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Andy,
    Thank you for your response & information. Will post some updates as to how we get on with our attempts at starting this. Yes, looks a fine bit of kit – bit scabby, has been lying around unused for some time I think. Also, sounds like it was skip destined had the Menshed not wanted it. Menshed apparently have a larger “ancient” cultivator for heavier outdoor tasks which I have not seen yet.
    Thanks again for info, I have a general interest in mechanical things but limited knowledge.

David

vhgmcbuddy

An update on the Menshed Iseki KS280 – We have now had it running. Took a while to get it to go, due to my many mistakes/misunderstandings/inadequacies relating to ignition timing. Timing marks are on outside of flywheel, which has to be removed to allow access to adjust points. We had no technical data as to points gap, just some general books on mainly motorcycle maintenance we were using to try & figure it all out. Eventually someone suggested using a dial test indicator on piston to measure where TDC and firing mark were then disassembling and using those measurements to allow proper timing. Multi meter on points allowed us to find when they broke circuit, Worked a treat. throttle cable was damaged and stuck, so no throttle control (suspected governor but seems fine now clean) still to retry since replacing cable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.