Insurance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Membership includes £5,000,000 insurance cover, but not for ride-on machines.
    I’d like to start taking my MG2 to ploughing matches (putting it on a trailer to get it there), but would need public liability insurance. Where is the best place to get this? I don’t intend to use the MG2 on public roads at all.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

oddhatuk
    Participant

I have my MG2 insured with Cherished Car Insurance http://cherishedcarinsurance.co.uk/
    They are very helpful

Hugh

trusty220
    Keymaster

For some time now the rally field has been classed as a public right of way and subject to the same rules and regulations as any normal road, hence the need for insurance to cover road risks.

Whilst the club insurance does cover you to the value of £5,000,000 for public liability if you exhibit a pedestrian-operated machine, it does not extend to machinery that is classed as “ride-on” because of the huge variety of machinery that it encompasses. That’s why “ride-on” machinery has to be insured separately.

I know pedestrian-controlled machinery has an equally wide variety but, because they are pedestrian-controlled they tend to operate at a much slower pace and so their capacity to do damage to the general public is deemed to be a much lesser risk.

I hope that explains why rally organisers insist on insurance.

charlie
    Keymaster

The need for RTA insurance came about due to changes in the Road Traffic Act. This made areas such as rally field a ‘public place’ and motor vehicles therefore need the correct insurance, you do not need vehicle to be registered nor do you need tax as it is not a highway.
    Beware some insurance company staff are not fully aware of what is required and what is not eg registration number. You can insure using vehicle serial number, chassis number etc.

stevewoollas
    Participant

The VHGMC policy is provided by the NFU who will also provide RTA insurance for your Ransomes. Try contacting David Shove on 01695 51177 for a quotation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.