Howard Gem fuel tank / Filter

Home Forums General Help and information Howard Gem fuel tank / Filter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, last time I used my Gem I had a nightmare with what looked like that blocking the carb every few minutes.

I yestutday removed the fuel tank and the filter from the bottom of the tank. This was blocked to the top.

So I have two question.

How do I remove the that from inside the tank?

Can I buy a new filter or do I just clean the old one beat I can?

It’s a Jap engined dry sump one by the way.

Thank you

vhgmcbuddy

Also what engine oil and what chain oil should I use?

Thanks

vhgmcbuddy

Any ideas? Thanks

stuart
    Participant

I have an original manual for the JAP engine as used on the Rotary Hoes rotavator and the oil type is SAE30 for winter use and SAE40 for summer use.My owners manual states use “Wakefields Swanshot gear oil” for the rotor chain drive box and transmission / gearbox.Wakefields is now Castrol so give them a call to see what the modern equivalent is (probably SAE80/90 or something similar ???).

vhgmcbuddy

Fantastic thanks very much for your help.

stuart
    Participant

No problem.Sorry I cant help with your fuel tank / filter issue as I have never taken one apart but I hope you get it sorted.

vhgmcbuddy

If you mean the tank is full of rust and rubbish, I cleaned mine out by filling it with acid for the day, totally rust free, the copper gauze filter on mine was damaged so I replaced it with a wad of thick felt, it,s easier to add an in line fuel filter, they are very cheap, and you can see that fuel is getting to the carb.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.