Howard Clifford 400 clutch issues.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Clifford 400 clutch issues.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have a Howard 400 rotavator that I’ve recently brought back to life. It has the JAP 4/3 engine which now runs strong. I removed the engine for bench work and went through the rest of the machine cleaning out the gearbox but didn’t disassemble it.
    The engine has been refitted and runs very well but my problem is that the clutch is permanently engaged. I’ve tried adjustment but to no avail. Have I done something wrong when fitting the engine to the gearbox.
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards Dave.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Is it a centrifugal clutch? The normal mistake is that people fit the shoes as leading shoes like in a drum brake because they grip better that way. Correct for a drum brake, but wrong for a clutch. The shoes need to be in a trailing position so that they disengage easily.

stuart
    Participant

They use a single dry plate clutch.If it was all ok before the engine was removed then you must have reassembled it incorrectly.Take the engine of again and reinvestigate.

charlie
    Keymaster

The clutch plate may be stuck to the flywheel due to lack of use, I have had this happen on a Land Rover.

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks for your replies guys, I’ll whip the engine off and check the clutch. Funnily enough I stripped the machine, gearboxes drive chains etc, but not the clutch, now it’s come back to haunt me 😃
    This is my first “oily rag resto” hence I’m on a steep learning curve. Farming was never this difficult 😄😄.
    We live and learn.
    Regards Dave.

stuart
    Participant

I have a Howard 400 with the same engine (J.A.P 4/3).Just half a turn on the handle and the engine fires up :).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.