Help to identify a Trusty engine

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Help to identify a Trusty engine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have a trusty for full restoration, but have not touched it yet, But I have bought on that well known auction site an engine, It was advertised as fully restored some time ago, but never fitted back into the Trusty, when I picked it up today It seems that the seller was not the one who restored it, but bought it from the chap wqho restored it. (dont Laugh) as you can see the original owner made up a frame to mount the engine and it,s oil tank, we had to cut the frame to get it in the car boot, it came with bits that seem to be off a trusty and what seem like clutch shoes etc, it has a double tank for oil and fuel so must have an oil pump, it does have a good spark, and I can set it up and see if it runs, Question, Does any one know what engine it is? there is no name plate and I would like to get a copy of the operating manual, I assume the owner made the frame to use the engine as a stationary engine?.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

That looks more like an engine off a mower, not a Trusty. Could be a Villiers, are there any numbers or name on the flywheel casing?

andyfrost
    Participant

That looks much like a Sturmey Archer to me , I would say it’s from a Ransomes mower.

Andy.

trusty220
    Keymaster

The flywheel that is attached to the crankshaft looks like a Ransomes Matador or Marquis one that is missing the clutch shoes. The other half of the Ransomes clutch drum can be seen in another photo as well with some strange attachments.

All in all I would say that if it was fitted to a Trusty it was a home-made conversion and there are no pieces that I can see on the photo’s that would have come off a Trusty. The engine looks like it originated from a Ransomes mower from the 1940’s by the look of the tank and fittings, and the cowlings are even painted in Ransomes Green just to confirm my guesswork.

Sorry to disappoint, Philip!

vhgmcbuddy

Thank,s for the info Boys, B….R ! should have paid more attention before I parted with my cash! Still I will rig the tank back up and see what kind of a runner it is, if at all, and then think what I can use it for, I will take off the cowling and see if it has any marks to idenify the maker. This is the box of bits that came with it, looks like clutch shoes etc. etc

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.