HELP , Ive just purchassed a Howard 700

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines HELP , Ive just purchassed a Howard 700

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    andyfrost
    Participant

The original type of pipe does appear at auto jumbles from time to time , and probably still available , but I don’t know where from.
    Basically any silicon type pipe will do the job.
    I did say that parts are not that plentiful , it’s just a matter of keep looking and asking.
    My spares , many new, have been built up over a long period.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Andy , yes m8 you are not wrong on them being hard to find . I have not forgot about youre kind offer for the front cover , we was thinking maybee we could come and see you at the weekend one day if you are free ?

andyfrost
    Participant

Just let me know when , I ‘m here most weekends.

Andy.

dave
    Participant

Regarding the air filter pipe I use the local hydraulic hose
    firm. They always seem to have odd bits of pipe under the bench
    and a few pennies in the coffee pot fund works wonders. Try them.
    Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

Ty dave , appreciate youre help.

vhgmcbuddy

ref andy

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

ref andy 2

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

That looks like an electronic module , ….throw it away. If John has overhauled your ignition , you should be away in no time , I take it that he has fitted new coil and condenser.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

The coil tested OK, the condenser had failed. John fitted a new one with a new L/T lead and cleaned the points. The coil is one of those cheap chinese jobs which i will be replacing for the correct one i think. I also got a new ht lead which was an absolute git to screw onto the Armature Plate , but i managed to get it screwed in with a little help. I believe the threads on the plate are not in ideal condition,but its in now and i hope it doesnt need to come off anytime soon.
    If you could remind me andy of those couple of places that i could probably find newer coils and spares at id be very greatfull , i forgot the names of them after meeting you at the weekend . All that country air must have cleaned out my memory bank haha . cheers..

andyfrost
    Participant

Barry my first port of call would be Meetens (01722 691604) , ask for Paul Childs , there is no man on this planet better to speak to regarding Villiers..

vhgmcbuddy

Cheers m8 , im picking up some imperial feeler gauges later so im going to take the cylinder barrel off ready to measure the gap on the rings.

vhgmcbuddy

Heres a general look at the condition of the barrel and piston , measurements of the gap between the rings to follow .

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Barry , to be quite honest , judging from those pics , it’s hardly worth measuring , it looks to be in a rather sorry state.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

What would you suggest my next move is m8 ?

andyfrost
    Participant

Another trip down here to get yourself another cylinder and piston. I did strip the engine down that we had on the bench , the piston had VERY minor scoring , but would easily clean up , I haven’t measured the ring gap , but will do when I get a few minutes to spare.

Andy.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.