Ford 1200 broken crank shaft HELP

Home Forums General Help and information Ford 1200 broken crank shaft HELP

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all I have a ford 1200 1984 it has a broken crank shaft,
    Where can I get a replacement crank or replacement engine ?

trusty220
    Keymaster

The photo that you are trying to upload is larger than the software can cope with. If you download a program called “Shrinkpic” it will automatically downsize pictures for you and it’s free to download.

As regards your crankshaft, we had one break on a customer’s tractor back in the Nineties. At the time we could get a replacement but when the workshop fitted it, that one cracked quite early on in service. In the end it turned out that one of the main bearings had stuck to the original crankshaft and rotated in the block, making the location in the block oversize and allowing the crankshaft to flex resulting in a scrap crankshaft.

Check your main bearing locations before you reassemble and you should be alright.

Have you tried to get the part from Shibaura tractors? That is the manufacturer of the Ford 1200 and you may get more help from that side.

wristpin
    Participant

If you decide to follow the Shibaura trail the importers / distributors for Eire and the UK were, and still may be, Irish Farm and Garden Machinery of Hazelbrook, Malahide , Co Dublin.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the suggestions but I have tried Shibaura tractors with no luck
    I would like to know if there is a replacement engine that would fit from another tractor make

vhgmcbuddy

Have you tried any ford tractor breakers? Internet auction sites? There is prob one out there with broken gearbox etc with a good engine

vhgmcbuddy

Still no luck findIng a replacement crank 😡 can anyone find something?
    I have tried everywhere

wristpin
    Participant

Read this
    http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Perkins_Shibaura_Engines
    And you will see that there have been more tie ups and joint ventures than you can shake a stick at. Your best chance is to do some personal research and make friends with a few good old fashioned parts department managers.
    Have you actually spoken with Farm and Garden in Dublin?

EDIT. Should add that Perkins are owned by Caterpillar, so there’s another avenue.

will-haggle
    Participant

When I read this I was reminded of the Ford Classic and Capri (Mk1) cars which had a 1340cc engine bored out from the 1200 Cortina unit. They broke crankshafts as well! We had a Classic that did it!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.