1964 atco 14 inch not another one !

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion 1964 atco 14 inch not another one !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Let me firstly apologise about bringing 2 mowers up so close together. This one was found under a heap of coal in a mans celler. He told me that it had run well until he disposed of his grass and it had been put in the celler and that’s all I know.

While our mower enthousiasts are still realing from the last atco I would really appreciate some more help. Most of it is a duplicate of the last one except the chain casing is different and also the engine. what are they ? new model changes on the chaincaase and a different engine…don’t think its Villiers but it may be, open to the floor thanks john.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

John , that’s a Suffolk engine , judging by the air filter , an early one at that.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Have looked on google images and found one just like it. no mention of engine or model ,but it was in austrailia. could this one that I have found be an export model ???

vhgmcbuddy

Andy you are on the ball tonight. next question……was a suffolk engine a standard fitment on the 1964 range and do you know if what you have seen is all standard to this model ?

vhgmcbuddy

Don’t know if it will help John but I have just checked the literature collection and I have a brochure for 1965 mowers dated late 1964, I will bring you a copy to Newark…

vhgmcbuddy

thanks paul will see you there fri eve.

vhgmcbuddy

Ok mate, give us a ring when you are close we will look out for you and make sure the kettle is on !! (thumbs up)

andyfrost
    Participant

John , yes , everything about that looks correct.

Andy.

stuart
    Participant

Its an SIF engine (Suffolk Iron Foundry) and i would guess its the 75cc model.The early ones had a different exhaust pipe and were rope start (not recoil start) and had a fuel tank that was fitted on top of the cowling.

vhgmcbuddy

That isa very natural mower by all accounts. From the way the owner spoke it was just days before it went in a skip. Thanks for everyones help.

wristpin
    Participant

Atcos of that era and later used their own fuel tank, hence no SIF tank fitted. The exhaust is out of period with the air filter which is definitely an early one. A matching exhaust would have been a one piece cylindrical one set at an approximately 30 degree angle pointing away from the carb. They were a bit of a pain as the carb had to be removed to allow them to be installed or removed. The later pattern on you machine consisted of a threaded pipe screwed into the block with an easily replaceable box secured by a single brass nut. The weak point of this later design was erosion and shearing of the threaded spigot for the nut by the hot exhaust gasses, particularly if the brass nut had been replaces by a steel one. On both designs removal of the pipe from the block could be a pain involving making an internal cut with a hacksaw blade and collapsing the pipe.
    On a machine of that age with an unknown history there is always the possibility that the engine may not be the one it left the factory with, but other than the colour s basically “right” for the date of the machine!

vhgmcbuddy

well done angus , I can live with the possibility of the engine being not genuine if that is the case and thanks to all for your time and valuble experience. next step is to get them both running etc but this will be new year.

wristpin
    Participant

It’s genuine alright but may be not original! Colour swatch is on its way to you.

vhgmcbuddy

thanks will look out for postie [smiley ]

dorigny
    Participant

We used to see a few of these with the Suffolk 75g14 engine. Does it have a smaller diameter cutting cylinder.? If so I suspect it makes the chassis very similar/the same as the lightweight Villiers engined one that I posted the photo of. I think the Villiers on mine was held to chassis with only 3 mounting bolts.?

My take is that Atco joined the Qualcast group in 1962 hence the switch to Suffolk engines, a company already in the group.

I reckon the early Suffolk engine used to run quite sweetly on these types… and with a very characteristic rattle from the clutch at tickover.

So, genuine with a slight hunch that this might have had a later engine, or parts, fitted.?? Inside colour of the cowling and flywheel etc might tell. The air filter is an older one from the days when they actually stayed on. 😉 but the carb is later from an age matching the exhaust box.

I wonder, what date did the fuel pipe banjo carb change to fixed pipe type.? on Suffolk engines.

Very nice to see another Atco in your fleet. Makes me want to get out to the shed again and progress a more recent Super Colt chassised Atco that has been in pieces here for…at least 10 years 🙁 …but don’t hold your breath. 😉

Clive. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.