Wrigley Autotruck with early Villiers Mk25 engine decompressor

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Wrigley Autotruck with early Villiers Mk25 engine decompressor

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wrigley-101
    Participant

Hi
    I have an early Wrigley Auto Truck with what I think is a Villiers MK25 engine. This engine runs although it is in need of a major service. It has a decompressor in its head – currently this is not working ( seized ) as well It doesn’t have a cable or lever. The lever will not turn the engine over currently – serious clutch slip I need advice on:
    1. Fitting a new cable
    2. Possibly removal of the old decompressor and replacement
    I intend to do the old three wheeler up eventually. Any advice would be appreciated. Picture attached.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

I have not heard of a Villiers Mk25 having a decompression lever before. Could you add a photograph or two showing the head and decompression lever and cable as it is not clear in the first image.
    Photo is rather small, did you compress the photo file or simply reduce size of image? If the later have a look in the Help and Information section of forum where there is a topic detailing how to compress photo files.

andyfrost
    Participant

Your de-compressor is indeed original , it should be fitted with a cable to a small thumb lever fitted on the handlebars.
    Remove it from the head , drop it in a can of diesel for a fortnight , go back to it and it should free off OK.

Andy.

mark1234
    Participant

I have a similar truck I think- same slightly unusual variant of the engine. I presume that mine is also a mk25.

unfortunately mine has no spark and the inlet manifold is missing so carb is just hanging.

wrigley-101
    Participant

Thanks for the info Guys.
    I have freed off the decompressor valve I can now operate it temporarily by pushing it down with a screw driver ? The engine starts easily. Does anybody know the age of this engine and consequently the age of the Wrigley it is attached too. I am still not 100% sure its a MK25 ? is it a Mk 40 – I dont know? It doesnt have the usual engine cowling with the data on it ( lost in time ). As I want to road register this eventually ( Yes you can do it as a vintage Tractor ) I need to date this machine as accurately as possible. Anyone know where Wrigley put their chassis number ( if they did ) Thanks Steve.

wrigley-101
    Participant

Hi Again
    I have attached some close ups of the engine. The only ID mark I can make out on the engine is AM189 and Villiers made in England. The engine is approx 15 inches high from sump to top of the head. The head size is 5 inches x 6 inches square with a barrel depth of approx 4.5 inches – what engine is this and what is its ccs ( Mk25 ??) I have enclosed some better pictures. It has an Albion 3 speed gearbox slung underneath. Help and advice with road registering would be helpful – although I have already talked to the DVLA and it seems fairly straight forward (They are sending me documentation). It would be nice to get an age related registration otherwise it might have to be a Q plate if I cant pin down the year of manufacture? Thanks steve

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

That is a Mk25 , nice to see it retains the original and correct carb. My Father used one extensively on his smallholding from the late 60s and through the 70s until he retired. From very distant memory he converted the body to dropside , originally I believe it was used as a milk cart.
    Mk 25s are still relatively common, so sourcing a cowling should be quite straightforward.

Good luck with your restoration of what is our hobbies more unusual machine.

Andy.

wrigley-101
    Participant

Thanks for the info Andy.
    I suspected it was a MK25
    Apparently this one was supposedly used on the Railways to transport luggage?
    Steve

wrigley-101
    Participant

One other thing-
    The flywheel outer rim has a long string of numbers/ letters on it . The last two are the date.
    This is a 1954 model. I think that sounds right?
    Cheers

wrigley-101
    Participant

Hi Any idea of where the chassis number might be on a Wrigley. Thanks

andyfrost
    Participant

Sorry , can’t help on the ID plate , your engine date I would say is correct.

Andy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.