Wolesely clearway

Home Forums General Help and information Wolesely clearway

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi All, hope your’e well!

I’m after user manuals or workshop manuals or diagrams for my Wolesely clearway…. can anybody help please. I have the non aspirated version and am currently restoring it.

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Yours looks to be quite a “modern” version with a Kubota Mag engine. Not sure about the non “aspirated” version – predictive text ?
    Anyway I have some Operator / parts manuals for what was then known as the Clearway HS 30” rotary grasscutter. 1973 onwards .
    If these will be of any assistance I can scan them for you.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes please! I’m wondering if the kubota engine was a later retro fit? Anyhow any information would be helpful thanks!

dorigny
    Participant

I’m thinking that this one is pre the HS30 as there was I believe a mechanical drive earlier version…but then I’ve never actually seen a mechanical one. I suspect the engine is a much more recent swap.

C.

wristpin
    Participant
    vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks for this!

vhgmcbuddy

Ok my next question is, it currently only goes backwards when I engage the drive to the large wheel that goes into the gearbox… How do engage it to go forwards?

This is very puzzling to me…

wristpin
    Participant

I would presume that there’s a forward/ neutral /reverse shaft/lever sticking out of the hydrostatic drive unit that should be connected to a handlebar control lever.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Quite right! There used to be a lever on the left hand handlebar that controlled the hydrostat. It sounds like your lever has been left in the reverse position so that when you engage drive to the gearbox it starts to move backwards. If you move the hydrostat lever to the middle position you will find it will stop the wheels rotating, and if you move it to the forward position it will move the wheels progressively faster in the forwards direction. The further forward you push the lever the faster forward it will go and if you bring it backwards it will get slower, then stop, then start to move in reverse.

Don’t run yourself over!

vhgmcbuddy

I cannot fathom how I still can get it to go forward? There is a lever on the right of gearbox which only selects slow (lever back), neutral (middle) or fast (lever forward)
    The other lever that is on the left engages the belts and pulleys to spin the large grooved dish that clearly terminates inside the gearbox.. Maybe someone fiddled with it and put the gearbox back upside down ;0)

wristpin
    Participant

Has it ever worked correctly in your ownership or is it a new acquisition ? If new to you , maybe there’s history . Worth checking that the “ handlebar” lever is properly set up/ located at the hydrostatic end and not slipping on the hydrostat’s selector shaft.

vhgmcbuddy

It has never worked in my ownership, so am running blind at mo… What is this hydrostatic you speak of? I am not sure mine has this…

wristpin
    Participant

If your machine has a belt from the engine or drive shaft driving a pulley with a fan on the end of a large finned lump, it has hydrostatic drive which gives stepless variable ground speed in both forward and reverse . An image of the mechanicals from the operator’ s position will clarify this. The finned lump with an oil reservoir on top is the hydrostatic drive unit – commonly shortened to the hydrostat.

vhgmcbuddy

Mine is pre-hydrostatic plus it has a ‘newer’ kubota engine on it which runs sweet… So far I have managed to service and have running most moving parts apart from the cabling from handlebars.

I’ll post some pics for you….

wristpin
    Participant

We need a few more images to see exactly what you have as your description doesn’t match any Clearway that I’ve worked on or have manuals for. Rather than being “ pre hydrostatic “ it could well be post hydrostatic as I know it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.