Winding down a garden machinery business

Home Forums General Help and information Winding down a garden machinery business

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    woodsofhorsham
    Participant

Hi I don’t know if this information will be of any interest to anyone however my dad used to own and run Woods of Horsham Garden Machinery in Warnham, West Sussex however after a short illness he passed away in July so I am trying to sort out the business.
    The company originated from Walter A Wood I believe and we have been on this site since 1974 so have accumulated a lot of parts over the years for cylinder and rotary machines, including manuals, bottom blades, wooden rollers, cylinder blades, A BRL cylinder grinder that works and a Eric Hunter Grinder for shears that I’m not if it does work.
    I’d hate for this equipment to go to landfill so and wondering if there is anyone out there looking for any parts or equipment like this, or any help on what to do with all the stock I now have would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Sad to see another small business go. I would think that the BRL will find a home , especially if it’s single phase electrics. I have it’s twin with me now. I also had a Hunter shear grinder in my old business, a bit fiddly to use but did a proper job. I may be able to lay my hands on a set of operating instructions if it will help sell it. ( pls note MAY) I’ll have a look in the archives.

woodsofhorsham
    Participant

Many thanks for trying Wristpin, any help is greatly appreciated. Whilst I’d love to keep the business going, trying to find someone with the same skill set and knowledge is near on impossible and unfortunately I never learnt how to setup the cylinder grinder so hopefully it can find a good home.

wiltshireworm
    Participant

I am sorry to hear about your father, I probably had contact with him at one time, in the 1960s I was assistant Sales Manager at Andrews of Hindhead Ltd. but worked mainly in Surrey. Andrews did a lot of business with Walter A Woods at the time. I seem to remember that Walter Woods was taken over by Paice in the early 70s but your father must have continued at least part of the old business. I am retired now having spent my whole working life in the retail Garden Equipment & Professional Grass Machinery Industry then supplying Bernhards, (Atterton Ellis) Express dual range of lawnmower grinders in the Western USA & Canada before I retired. A great industry to be involved in too, but not the best paid with some companies. I have wound up at least 2 failed garden machinery companies in the past, so if I can help you to survive this situation & recover at least some of your father’s legacy please contact me & I will try to help you. I will give you my home phone number 01225 755864 if you wish to have a private conversation. I do have contacts that could help you disperse the assets of the business. It is not easy identifying this equipment & spares if you have not been involved in the business. I live in Wiltshire & will be happy to help. Peter Hampton

wristpin
    Participant

Found the instructions for the Hunter Olympic shear grinder saved on the ‘puter as a 2043PDF file but don’t seem to be able to attach it. Advice needed!!

Had a think!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5bvaweh1z4s8w0q/Olympic%20shear%20grinder%20instructions0001.pdf?dl=0

charlie
    Keymaster

Unless the pdf file is too large ie more than 5072KB you should be able to use the attachments, choose file, option . See example I have attached.

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.