Westwood Gazelle W11

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Westwood Gazelle W11

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello, new member here.

You might be interested in seeing this video of my 1983 Westwood Gazelle W11. I’d stopped using it as the engine had lost compression but after the pistion decided that it didn’t want to remain attached to the crank in my trusty Westwood T1200 I had to get the Gazelle up and running.

Its a really nice machine and it drives and cuts really well considering its age. It always startes first turn of the key when cold.

I’ll be doing more work on it over thee winter to get it ready for more work next spring.

Gareth

alan
    Participant

Thank you for first post and also for the video, too.

It’s great that you’ve taken the time and energy to make a film and explain everything. Photos are useful but video is even better and it’s good to see or hear the people who are doing the work.

Of all the things I’ve owned I’ve never had a Westwood…yet! I do have the brochures including the one for the white fronted W11 Gazelle that you have.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. Has anyone ever come across the Westwood Rotodynamic Cultivator that fits the Westwood tractors? I’ve never seen one apart from in the brochure…

https://vhgmc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Westwood-Rotodynamic-Cultivator.jpeg

charlie
    Keymaster

Great to see another old machine revived and back doing what it was made for, one of the things I like about our hobby, we can still use the machines.

wristpin
    Participant

As you have surmised, a loose valve seat, not unknown on Briggs engines that have overheated . Providing that the machine has not been run in that state for too long and the seat recess enlarged too much there is a procedure for recovering the situation, which if carried out to the letter should provide a permanent solution. The procedure is covered in the appropriate Briggs manual which is not expensive but does advise the use of one special tool, a valve seat cutter to ensure that the re-positioned seat is concentric with the valve guide. However, if the centring advice is followed exactly you can usually get away without re-cutting the seat.
    The appropriate manual for your “L head” (side valve) engine is part number 270962.

EDIT. Should have watched all your video after the discovery of the loose seat! Lets just say, not by the book but sufficient for your purposes!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the responses. I’m planning on taking the cylinder head off this winter to finally change the head gasket. I’ll take a look and see how the repair is holding out.

As it happened in the summer I needed a quick fix before the lawn grew too high!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.