Vintage cylinder mower identification please

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Vintage cylinder mower identification please

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi can anyone tell me what this mower is please.
    Thanks
    David

Attachments:
    dorigny
    Participant

Would it be a Valor.??

Clive.

vhgmcbuddy

I’m unsure I don’t know about them
    Thanks
    David

alan
    Participant

It does remind me of the Valor Ironcrete mower from the late 1960’s onwards, called the ‘twelve plus’ or something. I have a photo somewhere, though I recall that my photo shows an orange mower with a Valor decal on the corner of the grassbox. They possibly made a battery version in the 1980/90s which might have been the orange one…?

Valor Engineering LTD, Birmingham.

Whether or not it’s a Valor, it’s a pretty standard machine of the time of which others made similar machines, monetary value not massive but a tidy machine if in working order.

dorigny
    Participant

I did not know of them until I saw a couple at, I think, the auction at Carrington Rally one year. Although I seem to recall seeing one earlier, maybe in the trade in shed at my first employment in the garden machinery world.? I can’t remember the colour but if it is a Valor then I suspect the green is a more recent paint job.? I’m tending to think back to some pinky,orangey red with light green, grey buff..?? but memory could be playing tricks…

Clive.

andyfrost
    Participant

I seem to recall they were a sort of maroon colour , (rather a similar shade to the small Clifford rotavators) and powered by the small 65cc BSA engine.

Andy.

alan
    Participant

Andy, now that you mention that maroon colour I do recall something about it being that colour.

I’ve had a look and cannot find my photo, but I did find that there was both petrol and battery models that were about in the late 1960’s and in the 70’s.

alan
    Participant

I have found an image!

The mower is a Valor Ironcrete.

Attachments:
    dorigny
    Participant

Thank you for finding and pasting the photo. Obviously my memory was playing tricks on the colour 😉 ..at least the handles are a cream/buff 🙂

Thank you,
    Clive.

alan
    Participant

Clive, Your memory of the colour was far far better than mine originally was! I was thinking orange and it turned out to be maroon!

andyfrost
    Participant

Mystery solved then , Alan , your collection of photos must be amazing !!!

Andy.

dorigny
    Participant

It’s set me thinking. I wonder if this Valor mower design was a UK one or if it was sourced in.?

I am always fascinated to learn the stories behind these sometimes short production runs of machines

No links to this mower type but I remember going to GLEE exhibition in maybe the late 1980s and there was a range of cast alloy sided cylinder mowers on the Wolf Garten display that were more or less a copy of the Super Colt and Super Punch design, possibly South African.? ( not the pressed steel type sold by many including a time badged Wolf) I don’t think the cast alloy Wolf I saw then ever made it into the catalogue in UK. ? Sorry for the aside, but just me having one of my oft mower ponders.

Clive.

vhgmcbuddy

I am genuinely amazed at your knowledge of such obscure machines.
    Im a general trader and wish to sell it, any idea on value?
    I have never bought one before but see similar regularly.
    I can get pictures and post on here to see if there is interest a couple of days before sale, most of the sales I go to are not online.
    If there is a spares machine or something I can buy and just strip the bits needed, post at cost and a drink for me. I’m not greedy but will expect a profit on the good stuff!
    Many thanks
    David

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.