Villiers Lightweight 150, horizontal shaft.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Villiers Lightweight 150, horizontal shaft.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

Despite a lifetime *playing” with engines, both large and small I never had much to do with the Villiers Lightweights and having acquired one on an Anzani Powermow (see the new forum Groundcare machinery section) I would be grateful for other people’s experience and thoughts.
    It’s had a complete overhaul, new rings, valves,seats and clearances – spot on, and ignition set to the “nth degree”. It starts, usually 2nd pull but, if allowed, tries to snatch one’s hand off and runs compared, with an F15 or F12, a trifle roughly. Before I just accept that ” that’s how they are” , I would love someone to say close/open the points or ignore the manufacturer’s BTDC setting and use …… !
    One thing that suggests to me that “they are as they are” is that when fitted to several Atco models, Atco add an additional flywheel between the engine and their clutch, which suggests that its job is to smooth things out.
    All thoughts / suggestions welcome!

PS If anyone happens to have one of those auxiliary flywheels from a 1950/60 Atco 24 or sidewheel rough cut, going spare ….. !

andyfrost
    Participant

I know it can be a bit of faffing around , but I would try retarding the igntion VERY slightly.
    Very unusual mower , can’t say I’ve ever seen one before.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

Thank, That may be obvious but worth giving it a go. I think that I tried it before setting the project aside but well worth another go . Shame that it’s not as easy as just rotating a distributor a degree or two. I’ve got a complete spare engine so I may bolt that down to the test bench and have a play. Watch this space.

The Anzani is, as you observe a bit of a beast. It’s built like a battle ship and the amount of wasting on the chassis side exposed to the weather would have been the finish of many a lesser machine. It’s actually a very simple design: the cutter unit is identical to the one that they used on their “ articulated” rider.

andyfrost
    Participant

Angus , have you timed it according to the marks , if so it’s worth remembering that these marks were stamped in by shall we say more inexperienced staff or apprentices , and I’ve known them to be “out” enough to give poor running/starting issues , far better to look at when the points are just cracking.
    Webb 24s gave the same problem , if not timed exact , again no extra flywheel weight.

Good luck Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

Wise words indeed Mr F. – thank you. I can’t remember how I did the original timing but I’ve just pulled it apart and worked back from basics. No longer snatches the rope and runs considerably smoother – not in the F15 class but perfectly useable.
    When rain stops work in the garden I will turn my attention to the spare engine, a gift of unknown origin.
    Interesting that you mentioned the Webb 24: I inherited one in a house move in the late 60s that had thrown a rod and been re- engined with a Tecumseh H40; a truly horrible lump with a carb that dripped fuel on to the rubber covered rear roller with a predictable result. I first made a drip tray to go under the engine but soon gave it a 5HP BS which turned it into the mower that it should have been. The belt driven Webb24 was an under rated favourite of mine which got a bad reputation because, even some in the trade, didn’t understand how to set up the belts properly – not helped by a diagram in the owner’s handbook showing a belt keeper at exactly the wrong angle where it could cause the most wear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.