Villiers F15 stationary engine

Home Forums General Help and information Villiers F15 stationary engine

This topic contains 45 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jeffke 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #35933

    jeffke
    Participant

    And now the needle and float. I don’t think it was damaged…. Will be away for 2 weeks so next update after 04 December.

    Attachments:
    #36226

    jeffke
    Participant

    Dears
    Let me give yo a little update.
    Engine was working fine. I had it to run on an external small tank, in order to adjust the carb and check leaks etc. It did work well until…it stopped. When I tried to start it again, it had lost compression. Got scared one valve was gone. After checking, it was not any valve but…the head gasket.

    Attachments:
    #36228

    jeffke
    Participant

    When I did re-assemble the engine, I did not have the F15 manual, that you shared with me Angus. I used my little knowledge to tighten the head bolts with a torque wrench and in a cross pattern. However, I only had put back the 5 main bolts, which are also shown on the F15 manual.
    I had not put back the 3 other bolts, which I thought were only there to hold the tin cover (cooling cover. Is it called fairing?).
    Picture to illustrate:

    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  jeffke.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  jeffke.
    Attachments:
    #36231

    jeffke
    Participant

    Now, with a picture with all the bolts. The red ones are the ones that were not on the engine.
    So right now, I need to replace my head gasket and here is what I’m thinking doing: make my own head gasket using a 0.5 mm copper plate, that I will anneal prior to applying to the engine.
    What do you think?
    I am currently working on the tin wear and the tank: removing old paint so as to be able to apply new primer + paint. I will only re-assemble the engine with it’s 8 bolts, so when the tin wear is ready.
    I fixed the leaking tap by making my own cork replacement (after watching a number of videos on the topic. Even have a spare replacement cork if needed).
    Will let you know how things are evolving.

    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  jeffke.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  jeffke.
    Attachments:
    #36236

    andyfrost
    Participant

    Making your own head gasket is not something I would reccomend , I know we have to at times like on obsolete/unavailable machines . Over here head gaskets are widely available for under £10 , so I would try and source a genuine asbestos one.

    Andy.

    #36239

    jeffke
    Participant

    Thanks Andy, for your quick reply. I am scared that with Brexit and now COVID, it will take for ever to get spares from the UK.

    #36240

    charlie
    Keymaster

    Brexit and Covid should not impact on small parcels such as a head gasket which will probably go in the post. A good source of Villiers spares is Meetens.

    #36244

    jeffke
    Participant

    Thanks Charlie. Did not know this supplier as I used L&S. Head gaskets are cheap indeed and it is easy to get them.
    One of my reasoning is that I will export this engine to Africa, where I’d like to use it to power a pump or a generator. Getting spares will become much more difficult, so rather learn (before I go there) how to keep this engine running with a minimum dependence on imported spares.
    Also like the challenge that comes with it. From my reading/viewings, if the copper gasket is made properly, it could easily replace a factory one, espcially for side valve engines But may be there are risks, specific to this engine or you would have a different experience to share?
    Cheers
    Jeff

    #36245

    charlie
    Keymaster

    Correction to my earlier comment regarding post. I found out today that only mail to Republic of Ireland is been sent at present, all other destinations are blocked due to Covid.

    #36246

    jeffke
    Participant

    Crazy situation but nothing we can do…

    #36434

    jeffke
    Participant

    Dear Charlie, Andy and Angus.
    Went ahead with fabricating my own head gasket.
    Did take me several hours (evening hours, after work) spread over a week to cut, adjust, make the holes, quench and finally put it back onto the engine.
    I started and tested the engine yesterday. I had it run for 10 minutes in at least 2 stints.
    As I re-installed the governor linkage to the carb, it now stabilizes nicely (had to adjust the carb). As I had ordered a gasket kit, I had several types + thicknesses of gaskets so used the opportunity to fabricate all the gaskets for the carb + intake and for the exhaust.
    A few photos to illustrate.
    Of note that for the copper plate, I mainly used the “special scissors” I had from an old medical kit and a “Dremel” to refine/adjust the cuts/holes.

    Attachments:
    #36436

    jeffke
    Participant

    Now the other gaskets.

    Attachments:
    #36438

    jeffke
    Participant

    The head gasket prior to fitting the head back and torque the bolts.

    Attachments:
    #36440

    jeffke
    Participant

    Finally the engine re-assembled with all the new gaskets. Was a good exercise and a first for me.

    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by  jeffke.
    Attachments:
    #36444

    charlie
    Keymaster

    Good news. I have made various gaskets but never attempted a head gasket.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.