Villiers F15 stationary engine

Home Forums General Help and information Villiers F15 stationary engine

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

And now the needle and float. I don’t think it was damaged…. Will be away for 2 weeks so next update after 04 December.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Dears
    Let me give yo a little update.
    Engine was working fine. I had it to run on an external small tank, in order to adjust the carb and check leaks etc. It did work well until…it stopped. When I tried to start it again, it had lost compression. Got scared one valve was gone. After checking, it was not any valve but…the head gasket.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

When I did re-assemble the engine, I did not have the F15 manual, that you shared with me Angus. I used my little knowledge to tighten the head bolts with a torque wrench and in a cross pattern. However, I only had put back the 5 main bolts, which are also shown on the F15 manual.
    I had not put back the 3 other bolts, which I thought were only there to hold the tin cover (cooling cover. Is it called fairing?).
    Picture to illustrate:

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Now, with a picture with all the bolts. The red ones are the ones that were not on the engine.
    So right now, I need to replace my head gasket and here is what I’m thinking doing: make my own head gasket using a 0.5 mm copper plate, that I will anneal prior to applying to the engine.
    What do you think?
    I am currently working on the tin wear and the tank: removing old paint so as to be able to apply new primer + paint. I will only re-assemble the engine with it’s 8 bolts, so when the tin wear is ready.
    I fixed the leaking tap by making my own cork replacement (after watching a number of videos on the topic. Even have a spare replacement cork if needed).
    Will let you know how things are evolving.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Making your own head gasket is not something I would reccomend , I know we have to at times like on obsolete/unavailable machines . Over here head gaskets are widely available for under £10 , so I would try and source a genuine asbestos one.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Andy, for your quick reply. I am scared that with Brexit and now COVID, it will take for ever to get spares from the UK.

charlie
    Keymaster

Brexit and Covid should not impact on small parcels such as a head gasket which will probably go in the post. A good source of Villiers spares is Meetens.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie. Did not know this supplier as I used L&S. Head gaskets are cheap indeed and it is easy to get them.
    One of my reasoning is that I will export this engine to Africa, where I’d like to use it to power a pump or a generator. Getting spares will become much more difficult, so rather learn (before I go there) how to keep this engine running with a minimum dependence on imported spares.
    Also like the challenge that comes with it. From my reading/viewings, if the copper gasket is made properly, it could easily replace a factory one, espcially for side valve engines But may be there are risks, specific to this engine or you would have a different experience to share?
    Cheers
    Jeff

charlie
    Keymaster

Correction to my earlier comment regarding post. I found out today that only mail to Republic of Ireland is been sent at present, all other destinations are blocked due to Covid.

vhgmcbuddy

Crazy situation but nothing we can do…

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Charlie, Andy and Angus.
    Went ahead with fabricating my own head gasket.
    Did take me several hours (evening hours, after work) spread over a week to cut, adjust, make the holes, quench and finally put it back onto the engine.
    I started and tested the engine yesterday. I had it run for 10 minutes in at least 2 stints.
    As I re-installed the governor linkage to the carb, it now stabilizes nicely (had to adjust the carb). As I had ordered a gasket kit, I had several types + thicknesses of gaskets so used the opportunity to fabricate all the gaskets for the carb + intake and for the exhaust.
    A few photos to illustrate.
    Of note that for the copper plate, I mainly used the “special scissors” I had from an old medical kit and a “Dremel” to refine/adjust the cuts/holes.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Now the other gaskets.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

The head gasket prior to fitting the head back and torque the bolts.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Finally the engine re-assembled with all the new gaskets. Was a good exercise and a first for me.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Good news. I have made various gaskets but never attempted a head gasket.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.