Villiers F15 stationary engine

Home Forums General Help and information Villiers F15 stationary engine

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

As I was searching for an answer regarding testing the coil, I realized that you recommend having it tested by a professional or test in situ if you have a enough good spark. Will wait now until I get the spares to put the engine back together to test if I have a good spark.
    Cheers Jeff

andyfrost
    Participant

There are three different ignition units fitted to the F15 , the points gap should be stamped into the inspection cover…if it is still present , if yours is missing , I would start at 18thou and go from there.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Andy.
    I still have the cover so will inspect it…
    Thanks and a good sunday.
    Warm regards

wristpin
    Participant

I’ve not been able to view any of the OP’s images on the iPad – suspect that they may be a higher resolution than the system likes but to enlarge on the magneto types –
    The original had a separate coil, condenser and points. The intermediate had the condenser incorporated within the coil but still had points. The final version was fully electronic with just an electronic coil / module and nothing else. It should be noted that the electronic system had a specific flywheel.
    As far as points gap goes , I’ve never seen anything other than 18” thou.

charlie
    Keymaster

I’ve not been able to view any of the OP’s images on the iPad – suspect that they may be a higher resolution than the system likes
    The forum limits image file size to a maximum of 5072KB, trying to post anything larger will give an error at time of posting. All 6 images on the post open OK on pc/laptop.

alan
    Participant

Re:photos. I’ve just checked on iPad (new version, 8th generation) and photos open fine, and VHGMC software is up to date too. I’d check any pop up/ security settings in case that’s blocking images.

vhgmcbuddy

Good evening
    Andy, I checked the inspection cover and there is nothing on it.
    @ Wrispin. Mine must be an intermediate as it has no condenser but it still has points. Any idea how to know the year of this engine?
    Good news: I set the points at 18 thou and I put back the flywheel and … now I got spark! Youpi!
    I also fabricated an adjuster for the governor, fixed the throttle lever as it had about 1/5 of a turn play.
    Ready to re-assemble everything when I get the spares delivered and fire it up.
    Have a good evening.
    Jeff

wristpin
    Participant

If you look just to the right of the inspection port there are the words “ set points” with a raised boss with nothing on it but just to the right of that boss you will possibly see a very lightly stamped 18thou.
    Your previous images are now opening as they should with no change of settings!!

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Angus.
    Spares were delivered yesterday so re-installed the head with the new head gasket. Assembled the carb too. Put some fuel through the spark plug hole and get it to turn…and it fired!!!!
    Need to now try if the carb is working and try to adjust what can be adjusted as well as set the governor…

wristpin
    Participant

Sounding good. There may be something here that’s of assistance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbzpnukk2kgc8p5/Villiers%20F150001.pdf?dl=0

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Angus.
    Thanks a million. Super useful. Very happy with all the support I got on this website. Very effective.
    Cheers

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Angus and Andy.
    One additional question: my carburetor is a Villiers B.10/1. Which direction should the needle on the float be oriented? up or down? When re-assembling the carb I put the needle down, but I was not sure and the manual would not give that detail.
    Of note that the engine works well with it’s carburetor and muffler. I filled up the carb hose with fuel (around 10 ml) and it worked for a few seconds. There is a small leak at the hose so did not dear using any temporary tank to get it running longer and do any carb adjustments.

andyfrost
    Participant

The needle end of the float is uppermost , to seat in the brass seat in the top half of the carb.
    Your carb has a fixed main running jet , the only adjustment is the slow running jet , wind it in to rich , out to weaken.
    You may have damaged the needle by fitting it upside down , so check it before re-fitting.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Oups…
    Thanks Andy. Will check.
    Cheers

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Andy and Angus.
    A photo of the carb.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.