Villiers F15 stationary engine

Home Forums General Help and information Villiers F15 stationary engine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Good evening. New on the forum and specifically looking for technical info regarding Villiers F15 stationary engine. I just bought one of these for 20 quids at a scrap metal depot here in Holland. The engine seemed to be in relatively good shape and was complete.
    I started pulling it apart to check it’s condition. It does seem to have been over used and have already checked the valves/piston. It does not have spark and brought it to my favorite mechanic to remove the flywheel and one of the muffler’s bolts (do not have imperial tools so do not want to risk damaging anything). Need to have access to the points/coil as it seems there is no condenser and the points are not opening much and neither at the right moment.
    What is the timing on this engine? is it 3/16″ before TDC?
    Also, what year (s) were the F15 being manufactured?
    Thanks for your help
    Jeff

andyfrost
    Participant

It sounds like you have the wipac ignition that has the coil/condenser in one single unit , hence you can’t see the actual condenser.
    The timing is fixed by a keyway , so no issues there.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Andy. Thanks for your quick reply. Hope to have the engine back with the flying well off on Saturday. Shall look further into the ignition i.e testing the coils, condenser and adjusting the points. Yes it is a wipac ignition. Already ordered new condenser and points (from the UK) so may replace if necessary.
    How/where should the spring on the governor lever be connected? The spring was there on the lever but no connected to anything?
    The tap on the tank is made of cork: how can I replace it as it is very lose and I don’t think it closes really.

Warm regards

andyfrost
    Participant

As regards to your govenor spring , it depends on whether it was fixed revs or variable , either way you should have a bracket on the valve chest cover , have a look and report back what you have there , if anything.
    Remember your ignition unit is a combined coil and condenser, fit your new points and you’ll more than likely have a spark , they’re normally a very good unit and seldom give trouble.

Andy.

ssorthiek
    Participant

I’m no expert on anything really but I have had quite a bit of success getting a few WICO series A and WIPAC series C magnetos going without the need for new points and if you are just trying to get the engine running, you might get away without the condenser to prove the engine is a good one. The condenser really needs to be in place when you are satisfied that the engine is good otherwise you may well damage the points.

I think what you have got is a WIPAC series C magneto (possibly) and you will probably need a special tool to take the condenser out. I made one and it works really well but you do need a lathe and a mill to make it properly. I can probably take a photo of the tool if this helps.

Andy is far more experienced than I and he (and others) may well correct me and I would be interested in any differing views.

ssorthiek
    Participant

Jeff
    Following Andys previous post, it might well be worth adding a couple of photos

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Andy and Ssorthiek. Thanks again for your support. Really appreciated. Just called the mechanic: flywheel is off. Will pick it up tomorrow and sure will share some pictures.
    The bracket on the valve chest cover is there, but what I am wondering is if there is anything between this bracket and the spring, something to adjust the load of the spring as I have seen on some videos on youtube.
    Jeff

andyfrost
    Participant

“something to adjust the load of the spring”

That is precisely how it works , a threaded adjuster for fixed revs , or the end of the cable for variable.

Keith , we’re talking flywheel magneto here , not a CJ or A series which are of course seperate mags.

Andy

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Andy and Keith
    Here 2 pictures that I kept on my phone. I am clearly missing the adjuster.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Sorry, sent too quickly.
    Here is the second picture

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Depends whether you want to do an accurate restoration , or just get it running , it would be a simple task to make an adjuster from a suitable threaded bolt, drill a hole to accept the spring and just use a nut either side of the bracket for adjustment.
    Meetens would more than likely have the proper part , but proper money to go with it.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Andy. I just want to get it to run, so will be an easy fix.
    Here is a picture of the flywheel if it can help identify the model.
    Warm regards

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

F15 governor etc

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Cheers Angus , as the song goes …….. a picture paints a thousand words.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Dear Angus
    Thanks for the pictures indeed. I can copy the adjuster.
    Here is a picture of the coil + points.
    What should be the opening of the points? I set them at 14 thou (0.35 mm)?
    What should I expect when testing the coil? I got 3440 ohms
    (3.44 with meter set on 20 k)
    Should received the spares I ordered within days: looking forward to get it all back together and see if it starts.
    Cheers Jeff

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.