Trusty Tractor serial number 128440C

Home Forums General Help and information Trusty Tractor serial number 128440C

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    max
    Participant

I am looking for information on Dad’s old tractor
    , more to the point what engine is fitted to it ?
    Basically, the reason for joining is I want to transport the tractor and implements back here to Germany and do a full restoration well at least my 18-year-old son wants to renovate it.
    Before we go to the cost of transport and the associated trouble of getting it here I need to know if the idea is viable .
    A little bit of background to the whole story dad died in 2015 and in 2018 we set about sorting his place out where we came across his old trusty now I realise it has no real monetary value but the sentimental value is enormous as my first memories as a small child are of myself and younger brother sat on the toolbox as dad ploughed the garden.
    so the main questions are :-
    What engine is in it ?
    Are spare still available?
    What weight has the machine with plough disc harrows and spade lugs .

Max

PS I should add we live in central Germany

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

The engine you have is a JAP 5, made by J.A.Prestwich of Tottenham, London. It should have JAP stamped in large letters above the inlet holes for the cooling air and it will have JAP cast into the crankcase just above the output crankshaft. Engine numbers should be stamped into the crankcase at the base of the barrel.

Parts are (or were) available from Meetens Industrial Engines, but I understand that Paul Childs (who runs it) has sold out to another company. Generally there aren’t many parts that you need for these engines as they seem to have been designed for a long working life. Gaskets and spark plugs are just about all you will need and maybe a rebuild on the magneto if you can’t do it yourself. Parts for the tractor are non-existant beyond the usual bearings, seals and chains and you may have to make some parts such as the drawbar pin for the swinging drawbar- this is a usual part that tends to seize in the drwbar and wear the castings above and below it.

With all of the bits and pieces you have I would allow about 750kgs for the weight of the tractor and associated parts. It may come to far less but the only way to know for sure is to put it on a weighbridge.

I will enter your tractor on the Trusty Register as well. It may be some time before I can go to look up the number but keep watching the “Survivors” tab and the purchase date and selling dealer will appear once I’ve looked it up.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

trusty220
    Keymaster

One further point…….I’ve just noticed your serial number has too many digits. Could you check it again and possibly post a photo of the serial number plate? It looks like you’ve been having trouble with the size of your photo’s- check out Charlie’s instructions for reducing photo size so they don’t get too big for the software.

max
    Participant

Trusty220
    many thanks for the replies
    apologies you are correct the serial number is 12844C
    Fabrication work is no problem it was the engine that worried me .
    The tractor has been moved to my father-in-laws down in the southwest of England so it is safe for now.
    Could you give me any links to the Jap 5 engine so that I can start and formulate a restoration plan, all I know at the moment is the engine turns over by hand but not done any major investigations.
    have enclosed a photograph of the serial number to confirm your thoughts.
    Once again many thanks for your help

Max

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Your best bet is to look on that well known online auction site for an instruction book for the JAP 5 engine. The original books come up frequently and are very concise, giving dismantling and rebuilding information as well as parts lists and exploded drawings for just about everything including the magneto and carburettor.

It would be unusual for the engine to give much trouble other than a general strip down and thorough clean inside and out. On most of the ones I’ve done I have found that lack of compression tends to be caused by sticking valves- the valve stems tend to rust and then stick in the guides which is a problem that will be cured by a thorough rebuild. If the worst happens and the engine is scrap there are more JAP 5’s on the market than any other engine, so you should always be able to find a substitute although I appreciate that you will want to keep it as original as possible.

Above all else, take your time dismantling it, clean it thoroughly and inspect everything for wear. A certain amount is permissible (and expected on a machine of this age) but you can get away with an awful lot on these engines, so don’t be too quick to throw something away. If in doubt, ASK! We don’t mind!

trusty220
    Keymaster

A very rough date for your tractor will be June, 1948.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.