Trusty stead

Home Forums General Help and information Trusty stead

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jj
    Participant

Hi all I have finished restoring my trusty stead . The problem I have is the vin plate was missing . All I have is the engine number on the Norton engine m92 82/113 and old tax disc and number plate GFO 258 any idea DVLA are about as much use as a trap door in a canoe lol

trusty220
    Keymaster

I have just looked through all of my Trusty Steed records and can’t find any mention of that engine number. Don’t be surprised, though, because after March 1953 they only recorded the engine type, in your case Norton, and engine numbers only appear very few times.

Similarly, the registration number will only be recorded in the factory records if it was sold directly to an end-user. Normally they were sold to dealers who would then sell them to their customers and so the registration was carried out by the dealer, not the factory.

Sorry that I couldn’t be more help, but sometimes it works out that way. Now that you’ve finished it, how about some pictures of it?

andyfrost
    Participant

We must also consider that in our hobby machines with their original factory matchung engine/chassis numbers are few and far between. Users back in the day , would use used parts from donor machines.

Andy.

charlie
    Keymaster

GFO would have been a Gloucestershire or Radnorshire registration. You could contact the archive department of those councils to see if they still have vehicle registration records, not all do.

jj
    Participant

Thanks for info guys will post some pictures when I no how to do it thanks jj

charlie
    Keymaster

There is a guide to compressing photo files in the Help and Information section at https://vhgmc.co.uk/forums/topic/compressing-photo-files-using-ms-office-picture-manager/
    This is only necessary if photo file is over 5MB, often the case with digital cameras. After compressing and saving file all you need to do is attach the file by using the choose file button below box where you enter text.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.