Trusty carb

Home Forums General Help and information Trusty carb

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Just bought Trusty 5 jap what model jap carb does it have?

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

It may have had the early type JAP carburettor fitted; this has “JAP” cast into the aluminium barrel of the float chamber. They aren’t too good and are a little erratic (you can set it up to run fine with a lovely slow tick-over, then you rev it up and it somehow loses it’s settings); parts are not available for it either.

By far the best carb to use on it is the Zenith 24T-2 which is common to a lot of other engines and is easy to set up. You can get the parts from most of the regular suppliers and it holds it’s settings without the need to keep re-tuning it every five minutes (Bill Gates take note- why can’t you design software that doesn’t need to be continually updated?).

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you Geoff

Is it it easy to convert to zenith, same fitting, linkage etc
    What main jet would I need?

trusty220
    Keymaster

If it has had the early JAP carburettor fitted you will need a different inlet manifold to suit the Zenith. This has a horizontal flange fitting with two bolts. If I remember correctly the JAP carb has a sleeve type fitting and a pinchbolt to tighten it around the fitting.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Geoff

My jap carb has horizontal two bolt flange with 40mm centres 19mm choke
    Sorry pic is upside down

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s the early type carburettor which I haven’t had much success with. I haven’t found anyone that can supply parts for it but yours may be repairable if it hasn’t got anything missing.

If there are parts missing I would look for a Zenith carb and manifold which should bolt straight on. You will need different throttle linkages as well, so if you can have a look at some else’s set up that would be the best advice I could give.

vhgmcbuddy

Geoff did the later japs have z24t2
    I’m told the flange is bigger but would later manifold fit a jap 5?
    What jetting would it need?

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Geoff the zenith web site lists a c1407 or c1406 24t2 for the jap 5
    But the listing says a c1247
    Any idea which kit it needs?
    Not much difference
    Choke 13 main 62 air 175

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Geoff

Bought your Trusty book which is very nice and interesting but I need more technical info and part diagrams, what’s the best info on Trusty and we’re Can I buy it?
    Also need manual on JAP engine
    What best source of spares?
    Cheers
    Mike

Please could you put my Trusty on the register

trusty220
    Keymaster

There is no other written work on Trusty- that’s why I wrote the book!

The best thing to do is to buy a JAP 5 book off a well-known auction site; the original, official book has set-up instructions for the carburettor and magneto as well as a full parts listing and dismantling/rebuild instructions for the engine. Otherwise, if you need more help with the Trusty bit you can look out for the Trusty Tractor Parts List which does surface from time to time on the same site and , of course, you can search through postings on this forum for information on how to do various things. It’s been going long enough that there should be something about everything to do on a Trusty.

Once you’ve got it going you could do with a few tips from the Trusty Operator’s Manual; this you can get as a reprint from (I think) Japonica Press.

Engine parts for your JAP 5 should be easy to get hold of. Try Meetens Industrial Engines as a first port of call. One thing that I do whenever I can is to buy old and redundant engines at farm sales so that I have a stock to keep my fleet running.

Parts for the Trusty bit are generally not available. Bearings and bushes can be bought from your local bearing supplier, Whitworth and BSF bolts can still be bought from most suppliers, but apart from that you have to make or repair anything else. That’s what makes it a challenge!

Best of luck with it, and don’t forget that we will help whenever we can.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.