Tracgrip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sdarmstrong
    Participant

Hi
    Anyone have or know anyone with a Tracgrip 3 wheel truck ?

Attachments:
    trac-grip-1954
    Participant

I have a trac grip and have a few friends that have them we are in cornwall,

martin

kernowtracman
    Participant

Hiya, I have one. I am also in Cornwall where they were made.
    Russ

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

The Trac Grip was made by Hatch Brothers of Callington, Cornwall in the 1950’s. (information from, 70 Years of Garden Machinery by Brian Bell).

kernowtracman
    Participant

Looking for advice. I seem to have a problem with the Albion gearbox on my Mk3 Trac-Grip. I am unable to disengage when selecting gears even with the taken clutch out. I think it is kick start related as it jams in gear but will free if I move the kick start up and down? I can select neutral and start the the engine with the kickstart but as it as I put it in gear it shoots forward and jams in gear. I can only unjam it be moving the kickstart up and down as I said. Any advice would be appreciated.

charlie
    Keymaster

I have problems with the Albion gearbox on my Trusty Earthquake. On initial start up after a period of storage the clutch sticks and drags.After a short period of running it operates normally. I have always assumed it is the corks in the clutch plate sticking. No kick start on gearbox.
    Do you know which model of Albion gearbox it is? I do have some manuals and could send you a scanned copy if I have one for the type you have.

trusty220
    Keymaster

It sounds like it should be an Albion HR3 or 3A gearbox which was quite common on most of these vehicles.

First thing that I would look at in both cases is the clutch plates. The corks may be sticking to the steel plates with old oil or grease- or rust if it hasn’t been used for a while- and it’s the easiest part to get at. Just undo the hexagon headed shoulder bolts with springs underneath and it will come apart, but take care to catch the operating rod in the centre when you pull the outer cover off.

Once you’ve got the outer cover off you will see a series of plates, every other one will have corks in. One set of plates will have “ears” or tags on the outside which engage in slots in the outer cage; make sure that there are no burrs on the edges of the tags (file them off if there are) and make sure that the edges of the slots in the cage are smooth and not a series of notches where the tags have worn grooves. If you have notches file them smooth with a file so that the tags will slide up and down the slots without snagging.

Before re-assembly make sure that the clutch operating rod is working smoothly backwards and forwards. It is normally in two pieces- a plain rod where it goes into the gearbox on the clutch lever side and a rod with a foot on it that pushes on the inside of the clutch cover, and these two are normally separated by a ball bearing in the middle.

If cleaning the clutch up doesn’t do the job it may be that the input shaft and output shaft have become stuck together. The one shaft runs inside the other and if you didn’t want to dismantle the gearbox you can sometimes free them off by running the engine and selecting a low gear- 3rd gear is normally a direct drive with no difference in the two shaft speeds, but 2nd or 1st gear should show a result but make sure that you’ve drained all of the old oil out first and refilled with fresh oil so you don’t do any internal damage.

kernowtracman
    Participant

Thank you Charlie. Very much appreciated. The only numbers I can see stamped into the gearbox cover are: HDG 54. Are you familiar these numbers? I Googled it but unable to find an exact match?

Attachments:
    kernowtracman
    Participant

Thanks for you taking you time out to answer my query. I have taken the clutch out and it seems OK? I am going to clean it up and replace and hopefully that will do the trick. I will let you know how I get on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.