timing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rotevat
    Participant

Hi i have a Oxford Allen Scythe machine, can any one guide me on the correct timing set up on these machines ?

rotevat
    Participant

I should have added that the model is a C25 with points set up

rotevat
    Participant

Just some more info,the engine would start okay and run for 30 mins then stop. After cooling it would start again.It has had a new set of points/condenser/coil fitted but will not start at all now. Personally i would be looking at crank seals ( 2 stroke) but the machine belongs to a work colleague.

charlie
    Keymaster

Have checked that you have a good spark?

trusty220
    Keymaster

Years ago I saw an old training film made by Briggs and Stratton about an on-site mechanic who couldn’t get a cement mixer going. He was getting it in the neck from all sides and couldn’t find the problem; it turned out eventually to be a faulty spark plug which he had overlooked.

Be methodical, start at one end and make sure the part that you’re checking is working before moving on to the next. It sounds obvious but you’d be surprised how many people start in the middle!

Does anyone else remember that film? I saw it at Autocar’s place in Barking on a training course organised by Ian Carr- some time ago now!

andyfrost
    Participant

As Geoff says , take it one step at a time , the plug is the first(and easiest) thing to check.
    My next step would be to have the coil PROPERLY tested.
    As you say it runs for 30 mins , it doesn’t sound fuel related.
    When it runs , does it develop plenty of power ??

Andy.

rotevat
    Participant

Joys of two strokes ! Found an old post regarding timing :- points start opening 5/32 inch BTDC. Also refitting flywheel accurately.As said check simple things first although My previous workings with 2 strokes best do a leak down test to check condition seals especially old engines.

andyfrost
    Participant

The fact that you say it starts OK and runs for 30mins , would maybe suggest that you’re looking for a problem that isn’t there, if the main bearings are still tight , the glans seals gave little trouble.

Andy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.