Time to reflect on a difficult year with an impending lockdown

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Time to reflect on a difficult year with an impending lockdown

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    ssorthiek
    Participant

When I started this post, I was hoping that there would be some positives that have come out of the Coronavirus. It’s most sad to see the effect that this lockdown has had on the rural community but I do hope that this thread will be part of social history.

Now we are in lockdown, it would be reasonable to assume that everyone should be behind their front doors except for essential journeys, but I am honestly amazed at the number of cars on the road to and from my place of work. I am an essential worker powering the nation. When I discussed this with my colleagues, they reinforced my views that the day after lockdown there seemed to be more cars on the road rather than less. I have tried to provide a rational explanation for this, trying to justify the increased use of cars on the basis people aren’t car sharing at the moment but nothing seems to add up. I do wonder whether anyone else has had similar experiences nationally.

I also wonder whether employers are generally following advice from the government and allowing people to work from home if they can do so effectively. I’m totally convinced that there are many companies out there not following the guidelines including some of the larger shop chains.

andyfrost
    Participant

Keith you’re bang on the mark , the company I work for has an absolutely atrocious attitude to the virus , LUCKILY no cases thus far , there is however an old saying “you reap what you sow” and I feel in general that is exactly what has happened.

Andy.

joegrgraham
    Participant

From my own personal point of view, the whole thing has been positive.
    The first lockdown gave me time to completely stop, reassess and reset.
    I reconnected with my family, and I realised that I needed to be a lot more self-sufficient, (some would say I’ve gone feral!).
    To that extent, I started my own business back in the summer, and I’ve now handed my notice in and I’m going self employed full time.
    My garden was better than its ever been, and I managed to get a few projects done.
    Yes, I’ve missed the shows and working days, and I do wonder how many of the shows will survive, maybe we will see a lot more private working days appearing?.
    Hopefully, we will see the end of this in the not too distant future, and we will all be able to get back out and about with our toys!.

ssorthiek
    Participant

I’m really pleased that there have been some positives coming out of this unfortunate virus this year Joe. There will of course be winners and losers but it looks as if you have really tackled the new set of circumstances head on. Quite an inspirational post if I’m honest and a pleasure to read.

sprayerman
    Participant

It has been an exceptional year and though I am sort of reluctant to suggest it, I think most of next year could be the same.

I remember the Constable Savage sketch, oddly think about that sketch quite often!!

In December 2018 my former employer made me redundant and so I set my own small business at the start of 2019 and as this was working outside, I was able to carry on working through the first and subsequent lockdowns and hopefully will be able to carry on during the one that is now looming. As my employment was office based, the floor had 70 or so folk on it, now so grateful that they did let me go as working outside so much better all round.

We have both missed going to various shows and events, the Mrs more than me, as I have been able to get out a bit more than her, through work I cannot do from home, but know that when things start up again we won’t be seeing some friends again as Covid has taken them.

In the road we live on someone set up a WhatsApp group so neighbours could talk during lockdown, this has been really useful, we now know far more of our neighbours than we did before and with charity shops being closed numerous unwanted items have been recycled in the street, tools lent or borrowed etc, or simply socially distanced help, information and moral support.

Like Joe above the garden has seen far more attention than in previous years and is even more attractive to look at even now at the end of the year.

I think we will come out of it stronger but it’s likely to take a while but like Britain was after WW2, the new normal won’t be quite the same as before.

Stay safe.

Adrian

will-haggle
    Participant

Nice to see you again Sprayerman! The sketch is on You Tube, here’s a link….

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.