Something for the workshop

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Something for the workshop

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

I was tempted to use the title “And now for something completely different” but I didn’t want to get sued by Monty Python’s lawyers. That’s what it is- something completely different.

Charlie sent me a link a few days ago pointing out a Vigzol oil cabinet for sale. I’m sure that many of you know that all of the later Trusty serial number plates carry a statement on the bottom which states, “This machine is guaranteed only as long as Vigzol oils are used”, or words to the effect.

What better to have as an accessory in the workshop, then? Certainly unusual and the only one I’ve ever seen in Vigzol colours although the green Castrol ones are quite common.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Just in case you were doubting my sanity, here is a picture of a serial number plate to show you what I mean.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

Did Trusty have some sort of sales agreement with Vigzol oils? Was there any benefit to the machines using those oils rather than any competitors oils?

trusty220
    Keymaster

There must have been some sort of trade agreement at the time. As a comparison I have included the plate from the earlier Trusty that I’m rebuilding; this one doesn’t mention Vigzol at all but says that the owner must use Trusty Oils (which you could only get from the Trusty dealer).

Attachments:
    franktonpaget
    Participant

I think the oil companies were keen to promote there lubricants for use in machines and offered attractive deals to manufacturers. Mr Fred Brookes co founder of OTA told me Castrol supplied the OTA brass makers plate with lubricants listed on it together with all necessary lubricants for each new tractor for 6d (2.5 new pence).This was a help to manufacturers in keeping costs down in a competitive market.
    I also saw the Vigzol cabinet and thought it must be rare compared to the usual Castrol ones and it would a difficult choice depending on a detailed inspection to restore or rub over with oily rag to retain originality. I tend to lean to keeping it original if possible but even if oil is still inside external rust can lead to finding a pool of oil underneath one day particularly if moved. A few cans or pouring jugs always look nice around the shed and use always keeps that oily layer to preserve them.
    Lets hope it goes to a good home.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I have bought it and collected it last weekend. I just had to snap it up quickly or run the risk of Henry Cole making it into a drinks cabinet!

Rest assured it will find a nice warm corner of the workshop when I eventually find somewhere and it will have plenty of company with the collection of Trusty machinery.

wristpin
    Participant

Henry Cole making it into a drinks cabinet!

Yes, the current crop of TV restoration programmes have a lot to answer for. Unless you’re a sand blaster and powder coater. I’ve only recently discovered that that the shop in which my late business partner and I started our Garden Machinery business had the second petrol pump to be installed in Kent. Now that would be a find.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Do you have any pictures of what it looked like back then with the petrol pump?

wristpin
    Participant

Yes, I have jpeg images but for some reason when I try to load them I’m getting

The web page at https://vhgmc.co.uk/forums/topic/something-for-the-workshop-2/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

I’ll try putting them into Dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/159zop9nkjo7ekd/AAD8I3RhfP_b6Dx4OigfumRra?dl=0

trusty220
    Keymaster

I love those pictures, Angus. They remind me of the old petrol station that was halfway up the main street in Burford; those pumps were back against the wall and the delivery pipes dangled off huge triangular brackets that were hinged to the wall and swung out to reach customers’ cars when needed.

All gone now but it wasn’t that long ago.

wristpin
    Participant

There were two other petrol stations in Tenterden High High Street and they both had those swing out gantries. One was National Benzol , the other I cant remember. Those were the days when nearly every village had a repair garage and a pump or two . Cars needed regular application of grease to multiple points every couple of thousand miles and a de-coke every ten thousand. When I first started buying my own petrol it was 4 shillings and 11d a Gallon . Less than 25p ! 4 gallons for less than £1.00

trusty220
    Keymaster

…..and it had lead in it as well! Those were the days when our engines didn’t overheat, would run on proper advanced timing settings and carburettor gaskets didn’t dissolve every five minutes. Where did it all go wrong??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.