Simar 56 restoration, things look bad!!

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Simar 56 restoration, things look bad!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, I have saved a Simar 56 from scrap recently. I found it had no compression and tonight I found out why. The a piston pin circlip has come out and damaged the piston and bore. I can’t seem to obtain any parts for it so I will take it down to the engineers tomorrow and see if he can repair it. I am not holding my breath though! If anyone has any spares I would love to hear from you. I am however in New Zealand. I really do want to save this old beast! Regards Alastair

vhgmcbuddy

Hello everyone. I have just saved a Simar 56 from scrap and have found it to have no compression. A quick strip down found severe damage to the piston and cylinder from a dislocated piston pin clip. I am going to try The engineer tomorrow to see if he can reuse it but I’m not holding my breath! I am in NZ and have not been able to find any parts here for it! If anyone has any spares please let me know! Thanks heaps.
    Regards Alastair

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry, the photos didn’t upload but here is a pic of the piston. A very sad sight!

charlie
    Keymaster

Photo files need reducing in size, they need to be no more than 3072KB. For microsoft users there is a guide in help and information section of forum.
    The attached is a photograph of drawing for piston, the original is at MERL, Reading UK.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie, I will upload again tomorrow. Do you know where I could get a piston and barrel from? I’m hoping my amazing engineer friend can do something with them. Thanks for the drawings, very interesting!

charlie
    Keymaster

I will check to see if they are common with any other SIMAR eg model 50, I think the part number is cast into barrel somewhere from memory, 10000A

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie
    I took the barrel and piston to the machine shop today. He said he can resleeve the bore no problem however the piston will be a challenge but can be done. Note on my photo the large groove io the side of the piston, caused by a wayward gudgeon pin clip. Is there meant to be any sort of groove on the piston? I am not sure if I am looking at pure damage or if there is some kind of port arrangement among the damage. I found a photo of a similar Simar (55?) that shows the piston without any groove.
    It is worth mentioning at this point that your assistance is invaluable Charlie, I am indeed very grateful for all your input.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

That is damage and should not be there. I have had it suggested that if a suitable piston from a diesel engine can be found it is possible to machine the crown to the required profile, as the diesel piston will have a much thicker crown. If you need a better copy of the drawing let me know.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie, yes another drawing would be fantastic! The engineer is quite confident that he can either repair this piston or make me a new one. The drawings are invaluable as gaining spares is impossible! I really want to restore this machine to the same level as my Monrotiller but first I need to see how much time and expense is required to raise the piston. The cylinder will be easily repaired with a sleeve and I can have new rings made. Thanks once again, Alastair

charlie
    Keymaster

Alastair, two e mails with copies of drawings attached are on their way to you via e mail.

vhgmcbuddy

I have received them. I just cannot thank you enough Charlie! I will post my progress! It is a beautiful machine and it totally complete. It was far to good to be scrap metal.

charlie
    Keymaster

Happy to help and I am very lucky to have access to the original drawings.

vhgmcbuddy

Good news! My engineer friend has said he can repair the piston! I may have to wait a while. He will also resleeve the cylinder. My next concern is that when I put the machine into forward or reverse, it appears to have no drive to the wheels. I can see the forward and reverse clutches are ok and the Miller drives ok. I am going to commit myself to a full strip and inspection. I believe this will be worth it in the long run although it may get expensive.

roatavator
    Participant

Great news Alastair!
    Regarding your drive problem, have you checked to see if the ratchets and pawls are engaged between the hubs and wheels? For forward drive both ratchets need to be engaged (they’re the ones with springs on them). In addition if you permanently engage one of the pawls (the ones which are just on hinges) it will engage reverse to the selected wheel making the machine turn in one direction when reversing. It makes turning round at the end of the row easier.
    Peter

roatavator
    Participant

If you engage forward gear and turn engine over, if the inner castellated hub is turning then all you need to do is follow my advice above. The photos show first the forward drive ratchets then the pawls which allows the machine to reverse.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.