Rotoscythe with Villiers engine

Home Forums General Help and information Rotoscythe with Villiers engine

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    monz
    Participant

Hello fellow vintage garden enthusiasts. I’m hoping someone may be able to help identify the Villiers engine that I have on my recently acquired Rotoscythe lawnmower. I hope the attached pic helps. I can provide more if needed. I’m looking to restore and use the lawnmower myself. I’ve also been lucky to get my hands on a working Monro minor tiller with a 7f on it. Both are my introduction to Villiers engines. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome. The Rotoscythe engine may not be a Villiers, I know early Rotoscythe machines used a Bux engine.
    If you could post a photo of your Monrotiller and if it has it the machine number I can date it and give you some more information. Monrotillers are my speciality. It might be worth starting a new forum post for the Monrotiller.

monz
    Participant

Hi Everyone. I’ve added some more pics of the engine of my Rotoscythe. Can anyone help identify? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    hdtrust
    Participant

Hi there, what a find!
    It looks like you have the fore runner of the Rotoscythe Eton model, you are correct to say villiers engine on that machine as yours dated from roughly 1935,Although its lost it original colour on its hood.Rotoscythe did use Bux engines from 1939 onwards. Hope this helps

monz
    Participant

Wow. Thanks so much. That’s amazing. I had no idea it was that old. Have you dated it purely on that time frame being the only period in which that engine was fitted? I saw an old brochure from 1936 that had one in but I assumed mine would be a later model. Now I’m even more keen to do it justice. Do you know which model Villiers engine it would be? Or any direction which might lead me to find out, so that I can get the correct spares. It has a fairly substantial crude repair to the hood by means of a steel and an aluminium strap around the base. I think it must have had a substantial crash at some point.

charlie
    Keymaster

A repair like that is all part of the machines history and demonstrates the old ideal of mend and repair, unlike the throw away society we now live in.

charlie
    Keymaster

A repair like that is all part of the machines history and demonstrates the old ideal of mend and repair, unlike the throw away society we now live in.

monz
    Participant

I totally agree. I’m still struggling to find out which model the engine is in case I need parts. The coil needs replacing along with the HT lead. Some new gaskets would be great but I can always make those myself. I also need to to figure out if I can clean the rust out of the fuel tank!!

ted20
    Participant

rust in fuel tank is easy put some old nuts and bolts in the tank ( first remove tap if internal filter is fitted ) and do the conga ( shake it about ) recommended to treat tank with sealer when clean

andyfrost
    Participant

Good advice about the nuts in fuel tanks , I cable tie mine into a cement mixer , run it for half an hour and it’s job done.
    Ignition parts will be easy to obtain , they are still all readily available , Meetens are my personal choice.

Andy.

monz
    Participant

Ok thanks guys. That’s great advice. I guess I should use small nuts and bolts so that I don’t beat the tank up too much. Have you ever used vinegar or the off the shelf methods?
    Thanks

Mark

wristpin
    Participant

Have you ever used vinegar or the off the shelf methods?

I usually use electrolysis. It removes loose rust and gunge and neutralises anything remaining in nooks and crannies. It’s also non destructive to soldered joints etc.

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi Monz
    You may email me direct via this web site or go by our web site http://www.hdtrust.org ,I need better photos of that engine to direct you to the right place for spares.

The damage to the hood (aluminium cast)
    I understand Charlie saying its part of its past, but the repair appears not to be safe, which was probalby unknown to the repairer at the time.
    Steel next to Aluminium of any kind is a complete no, no the two will react via electrolysis, coursing the Aluminium to corrode internally. Again I require photos to help you

Kind regards
    Andrew

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.