Ransomes Motor Mowers 1939 catalogue

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Grass Cutting Machinery Ransomes Motor Mowers 1939 catalogue

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hdtrust
    Participant

This is Ransomes 1939 Motor mower catalogue, these can be picked up in many places, Traction Engine Fairs, Old Book Shops, or the forgotten draw!

Attachments:
    philip-s
    Participant
    philip-s
    Participant

This is my Ransomes Mk10 no B3413 which I believe also dates to around 1939 and which I found recently in the next village. It is all freed up but I have not had it running yet.
    I have not been able to find any original pre war mower catalogues although there is/was someone in Australia reproducing some of the older ones and I got a nice copy of a 1914 Ransomes catalogue.

Attachments:
    hdtrust
    Participant

Dear phillip-s
    This is going to be your lucky day! And a free ident from The Hall & Duck Trust

Your Ransomes MK 10 No B3413 is a 20 inch machine, You are correct to say the mark started before WW2,infact the first Mk 10’s came into production at the start of 1936.All Ransomes motor mowers had suspended production in 1940 except for Gang Mowers for airfields, After the war the Mk 10’s were still in production from 1946 -1947 with pre war parts, there after 1947 – the end of 1949, with new parts.
    Your machine from Ransomes records which we hold states B3413 was made in February 1947,so using pre-war parts.
    Your engine is a 248cc RSJ (Ransomes Simms & Jefferies) which is centrifugal
    Hope this helps you

philip-s
    Participant

Thanks for your help with dating info, I believe the mower was originally used in the grounds of the local university

john-e-w
    Participant

Re the statement above by hdtrust – Your engine is a 248cc RSJ (Ransomes Simms & Jefferies) which is centrifugal

Question from a grey-haired old fogie – what is a centrifugal engine and how do they work? Is this the forerunner of the Mazda rotary engine?

Regards
    John E-W

wristpin
    Participant

Heard of radial engines, rotary ( both aircraft and automobile) but never a centrifugal engine – hope that someone explains.

hdtrust
    Participant

Thanks wristpin and john-e-w for picking up typing era, as you should both know better centrifugal refers to the clutch.
    I say typing as it reflects both your ages!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.