Ransomes 76 reel cutter

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Ransomes 76 reel cutter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mickwhitt
    Participant

Hello all.
    I’ve just bought a 2001 Ransomes 76 Reel cutter.
    I’d like any information about the machine that may help in refurbishing it and get it running well.
    I saw a previous thread but there was no information.
    Is there any chance of finding a manual or operators handbook?
    I read that it’s a very capable machine. This one has a Kubota engine rather than the Mag.
    Best regards
    Mick

wristpin
    Participant

Wonderful machines and as you say, very capable – so long as you don’t mind walking or nearly trotting when in high gear! We used to buy them ex-local authority in the 1980s and they all found good homes – then no one wanted to walk anymore!
    The attached scan is for a JAP engined one that predates even the MAG but the chassis was more or less the same. May be the Kub engined one had an updated chassis? If yours is similar to this one, I can do you a scan of a parts manual, but it’s possible that you have a really modern one, The Vergecutter 76 ! I did a front end overhaul and sharpen on one of those a couple of years ago – heavy going for an old b****r!
    I’ve got a 76 ops manual and parts list but not yet scanned. Let me know if that’s what you need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rjo6u2s0lxhvch/Ransomes%20reel%20cutter%20multimower0001.pdf?dl=0

or

Attachments:
    mickwhitt
    Participant

Hi Wristpin.
    It’s a 2001 year of manufacture so quite a modern version.
    I go to collect it on friday so I will know more then.
    Looks in good order but there is always the possibility of something being wrong with it.
    I will keep trying for a manual but the one you sent is a good starter for me.
    I’ll give her a good service and oil change before I do anything.
    Best regards Mick

wristpin
    Participant

I’m guessing that yours will be the modern version as per my images. I think that there are parts and ops manuals on line but if you draw a blank I can scan mine.

mickwhitt
    Participant

Somehow I thought this was a flail mower but it’s a cylinder. Will it handle rough stuff?
    I’ve got a manual off line but I’m not sure if it’s right for this model, have to have a look tomorrow.
    Just need an engine manual for the GH250 Kubota engine in case it needs major work.
    All in all it looks a beefy thing and I’m hoping it wont take much to get her running.

Mick

wristpin
    Participant

Somehow I thought this was a flail mower but it’s a cylinder.

What, even after my posted image shows a cutting cylinder?
    The early machines were the standard verge mowers used by local authorities . The cylinder could be swapped for a rotary deck but there was never a flail head. Ransomes did make a pedestrian flail , a lump of a machine on twin wheels. We had one that we lent out to tame overgrown gardens before customers burnt out the belts of their new ride-on mower, but it’s work capacity never quite lived up to its looks.
    After one user managed to wind several meters of wire netting around the flail and another hit a can of paint hidden in the long grass and covered both himself and the machine in white emulsion we decided that it wasn’t worth the bother and put it back into the next auction.

mickwhitt
    Participant

I know, I thought I’d seen this one with a flail reel on the front but I was mistaken.
    Got it home and when the safety switches were all set it fired up second pull!
    Blades turn, drive works, even the handbrake is working.
    Got her in the workshop and I will start a service in the morning. Oil fuel etc changed and see what all the belts are like.
    The manual is not for this model as it is dated 2001. I will email ransomes to see if they have anything newer.
    Looks like this will be a nice project.
    Mick

mickwhitt
    Participant

Trying to post an image of the cutter…

Attachments:
    mickwhitt
    Participant

Shows what a modern version of the machine it is, with handbrake and deadman lever that cuts engine when released.
    Started to strip it this morning. Split the cutter head off the drive unit so I can service it separately. It is indeed a heavy lump.
    Mick

dorigny
    Participant

Have at look on this link; https://www.jacobsen.com/europe-manuals/ and go to the models out of production box to see if you can track it down.
    I’m thinking it’s Multimower 76 ? rather than Vergecutter 76 that you will need to peruse.

For a few months, one summer 1983?, I walked behind a brand new, it was a Y reg, Vergecutter 76 but then moved location for a while to the seaside and an older Multimower, you needed the second speed on the gearbox knob to get across the road quick and dodge the holiday traffic…what you needed was a taxi coming from each way and their drivers would recognise I was in need of crossing to work back the opposite verges into town and would halt the traffic flow…thank you taxis.. 🙂
    No handbrake back then, and fitted with hefty Mag engines 🙂

Clive.

mickwhitt
    Participant

Hi Clive,
    Thanks for the link. I had looked on that site but had looked for verge cutter. When I searched on multimower, Bingo! Detailed operator and service manuals.
    I’m struggling with the mower head layshaft sprocket, not on a key, no grub screw, no end bolt to secure it. But the exploded view looks like it might be threaded onto the shaft? Anyone have any knowledge of this?
    Mick

mickwhitt
    Participant

I have rebuilt the cutter head and changed the drive belts. But I’m not sure how the belts should be routed around the tensioning pulleys. The wheels drive belt was just about wrecked and I think it was routed wrongly before i stripped it. I’m not even sure it’s the right belt.
    My assumption is that the tensioner pulleys sit inside the belt and spring tension is what engages the drive. The road wheels clutch was definitely set up so that it engaged when the lever was squeezed, not released. If anyone can point me in the right direction I’d be obliged.
    Mick

mickwhitt
    Participant

I went straight to the horses mouth and write to Ransomes Jacobsen direct.

Their technical department were brilliant, replying promptly.

The belts are routed the way I suspected, tensioner pulleys on the inside of the belt.

The sprocket is a left hand thread but will be tighter than a crab with lock jaw. At least I know which way to try and turn it.

Found a cylinder grinder near me so it will be off to get a nice sharpen.
    Mick

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.