Pale Blue Metallic Paint

Home Forums General Help and information Pale Blue Metallic Paint

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

It’s not often that I get stumped, but this is one time that I can’t find what I want.

Some years ago I found that the Hammerite Pale Blue enamel was exactly the same shade of blue that JAP (that is, J.A Prestwich of Tottenham) used on their engines. I’ve been steadily going through a big can of it over the last few years, but now that I’ve finished it off I can’t find an equivalent anywhere. Hammerite seem to have discontinued it from their listings.

Have any of you out there managed to find a direct replacement that I can buy over the counter? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

jtg1
    Participant

I managed to get 6 tins from the rep when they discontinued it. It’s exactly the right colour blue for the later autoculto implements, but know I will have problems replacing it.

jtg1
    Participant

Just had a quick Google. Rawlinsaints. Com list a range of hammered paints in ral colours. Might be worth persuing.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Thanks for your suggestion. I have now sent emails to quite a few suppliers- including Rawlins Paints- and I am just waiting to hear back from them.

As a side-line I thought that I’d send one to Hammerite to see if their mixing service could supply the metallic colour that I’m looking for.

I will report back on progress as soon as I know anything.

trusty220
    Keymaster

So far only one reply- from Rawlins Paints funnily enough (thanks John!)- with a very helpful chap who is asking for a standard paint code number. I have absolutely no idea what the original code was.

Do any of you have any ideas? HELP!!!!

jtg1
    Participant

I’m too far away from she’d and my paint charts to be able to give you the nearest ral number.will have a look when I finally get home.

trusty220
    Keymaster

In the meantime I think I will try to order RAL5024 Pastel Blue from Rawlins Paints and see what I get. Delivery is quoted as 5-7 days at present so don’t expect an answer soon!

Thanks for your help, John. Let’s hope this lockdown doesn’t carry on for too much longer.

jtg1
    Participant

Will look forward to hearing how you get on, as need some for other projects I’ve been putting off for years.

trusty220
    Keymaster

The paint came the other day and I found time to try it out. Unfortunately I didn’t read the instructions when I ordered it and it appears that it is most suitable for spraying- I have all the stuff to spray it but nowhere to do it!

I ordered the best brushes I could find locally and tried it out with brush application. At present it looks like three coats will be necessary to get satisfactory results; the pictures that I took are after two coats and show a few areas where the paint seems to contract to leave pock marks, very similar to silicone contamination when spraying cellulose, but these should clear up after a final coat.

The colour is spot-on and is a hammered metallic finish. Once I’ve moved and have a suitable workshop I will re-do it by spraying, but until then it will keep the weather out of it.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

……and here it is after three coats. Not quite as good a finish as I could have achieved by spraying but not bad for the conditions.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Good to know the paint is a good colour match. When I repainted my SIMAR 35 (a longtime ago now), it was brush painted, many coats with lots of rubbing down and a finish with T cut and it was an almost perfect flat finish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.