Operation Simar

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hdtrust
    Participant

It can only be good news when members of a club can come together, work mutually, for one reason, to save a rare relic from the past, which is in a true spirit of the Vintage Movement.
    This is when, a country or language, has no boundaries.
    Obviously many have heard of Simar rotavators which started life in Switzerland, although the company started off by making tractors, self motivated rotavators were introduced in 1918 by 1919 they had uprated the engine to 7HP being a MAG ‘V’ twin cylinder, model known as an M7.There are only a few M7’s left in the world.
    I know of one in Switzerland and 4 here in the UK of which two are basket cases! Of the basket cases, one is owned by The Hall & Duck Trust, which has had the engine removed, care of a caveman veteran car collector who needed the engine for a car project(perhaps he wanted to go ploughing with it!) The other by our President Charlie Moore who’s got serious engine issues.
    At some point these two are going to be rebuilt as one, I can find know better person who can use a welding stick like a magic wand than in our other member John Little.
    Next week Phase one of this operation will be complete when John will take safe custody of another M7 which has been fully restored, which will be used as a templet.
    While in John’s care, it is hoped that the restored one, may be seen at engine rallies around Scotland.
    Simar’s first model was a CH5 which was really their prototype, but in many instances there were always variations on a theme, one such variation from 1918 is shown here, also owned by The Hall & Duck Trust

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

That will be quite something to see- I have never seen an early Simar and I should think they are that rare that many of our members won’t have seen one either. Well done for keeping it from the car fraternity, Andrew. No doubt a few of you will remember the Howard Gems at Tractor World a few years back which had been restored; the rumour was that a vintage car collector had bought them for the JAP V-Twin engines.

How about a few pictures of it once it lands, John?

hdtrust
    Participant

I do hear tonight, that a certain Eagle has landed in Edinburgh, and that the custodian is like a dog with two tails!
    Kind regards
    Big Ears

rollomk6
    Participant

Good evening all yes the Eagle landed on Monday at 10 am here is some pictures of it

Attachments:
    rollomk6
    Participant

and some more

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

I remember seeing a photo of that machine many years ago, so glad it is now in the safe custody of VHGMC member. Ready for phase two of the operation in the new year.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I’m going to echo Charlie’s thoughts- great to see it in safe hands and being put to good use to help restore another early Simar as well.

At least you’ll have something to copy now, John. Don’t make too good a job of it or Big Ears won’t be happy!

ted20
    Participant

Very good pictures John I guess it is still at your receiving depot

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.