Oil change on Hayter 10/30

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Oil change on Hayter 10/30

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    wristpin
    Participant

If it’s the shaft with the green line over it, it’s the gear selector / first motion shaft with the two sliding selector keys (37) that engage with the inner dogs of the pinion gears just off the right of the image.

vhgmcbuddy

Right let me dress in rags and get the old transaxle apart. Stats to follow…

be great to at least know it is possible on paper.

vhgmcbuddy

Right I have some details for you to chew on and see if this is possible.
    An issue is that on one end it is spline. Other than that it is just a bar with a groove down middle (2 of at 180deg)

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

pic 4 is a diagram of shaft
    pic 3 is how it sits
    pic 2 is shaft removed
    pic 1 is shaft
    pic 5 is busted end of shaft

ssorthiek
    Participant

For me, the spline is an issue and not something I would attempt at this stage, it’s step too far for me I’m afraid. Looking at the fracture it looks as if the steel has been hardened although the photos isn’t too clear in this respect.

If it wasn’t for the spline, I would have loved to have a go but I’m sure that a machine shop can knock something similar up fairly easily.

Certainly, on paper this is achievable. but I haven’t resurrected my skills enough yet. Sorry.

vhgmcbuddy

Understood and thanks for looking. I did think how on earth is that made …..

I will not stop my search and will report when I find if it can be done and costs but I am sure it is a mad price at a machine shop and only possible with a mate who is bored and has a lathe type of job.

thanks J

vhgmcbuddy

Orrrrr…..
    make shaft bar the spline?
    and we find a spline person ?

let me see what this spline drives and if I can do without it …..

ssorthiek
    Participant

Do we understand why the shaft failed in the first place? There are a few other ideas I have but this will leave he shaft weaker and more prone to failure. Of course a failure could totally destroy the gearbox which wouldn’t be good. I would be happy to play with my Colebys since I know that they will never be used again for ploughing or any hard labour.

wristpin
    Participant

Do we understand why the shaft failed in the first place?

When I had my business you’d be surprised how many transaxle half shafts we sold or fitted. Not confined to any one ‘box manufacturer either.

wristpin
    Participant

Your broken shaft. Just opened my copy of Heritage Tractor and seen an advertisement that says “obsolete parts repaired and manufactured”. May be worth an ask. JJPrice. 01981 510522

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.