Monro tiller. Villiers mk12 coil backplate removal

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Monro tiller. Villiers mk12 coil backplate removal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mitzygolf
    Participant

Hi I am renovating a Monro tiller with a Villiers mk12 engine fitted. I am going to have to fit a new coil but I’m having problems removing the back plate. I removed the four nuts that seem to be holding the plate on and tried tapping the plate off but it seems stuck fast. Is there anything else I should be doing? Please see photos.

Attachments:
    davet
    Participant

Hi, The manual shows one other attachment. A countersunk screw at 11 o’clock looking rewards. I thought it would be visable in your photo , it should be hiding behind the LH end of the coil. Might require a right angle screwdriver.
    Good luck ,

Regards. DaveT.

mitzygolf
    Participant

Do you think this could be it, to the left of the switch wire connection?

Attachments:
    davet
    Participant

Hi, There is a download manual on http://www.winglet .
    I think it’s EM220 , item 45 you need to find.
    Set screw .

Regards. DaveT.

mitzygolf
    Participant

Thanks DavaT. I couldn’t load the online page that you posted but have included photos of a parts lost that came with the motivator. Is this what you were referring to?

Attachments:
    davet
    Participant

Hi, The on line book is 1962 at 2 shillings so is later.
    The large general assembly picture of the engine shows the set screw as item 45. EM220 . It should not have changed.
    See if your copy has that picture.

Regards. Dave

mitzygolf
    Participant

Thanks DaveT, found the screw and removed the backplate. Brilliant.I wonder if you can help me with one other question. I took the chain cover off the drive between the engine and tiller section. It was packed with 70 year old grease which I removed. Any idea what type of grease I should re-pack it with. Thanks again for your help

charlie
    Keymaster

The recommended grease for chain lubrication is Castrolease Medium.The chain should have 1/2″ of movement on top run when correctly adjusted.
    It is worth noting that the main gearbox should use a straight gear oil not EP90. Castrol D or equivalent SAE140 gear oil is recommended. I use Morris oils AG140 Classic Gear Oil. Castrol XL SAE 30 for the engine, Morris Oils Golden Film SAE30 Classic motor oil is what I use.
    If you drop me an email with your email address I can send you a copy of the machine manual.

mitzygolf
    Participant

Hi Charlie, I don’t know how to message you personally but my email address is (email address deleted to protect privacy) Thanks for your help.

charlie
    Keymaster

email sent and previous post edited to protect privacy.

mitzygolf
    Participant

That’s fantastic. Thanks Charlie much appreciated

mitzygolf
    Participant

Just looked at the chain and it looks very slack. There is no adjustment so should I remove one or two links and fit a connector link?

charlie
    Keymaster

Later machines had a simple plate which chain runs over to adjust tension, (part number MT338B in series 3 manual) . If slack is more than 1/2″ then try taking out one link if there is no adjuster.

mitzygolf
    Participant

Ok thanks

mitzygolf
    Participant

Hi Charlie, I understand you are the man when it comes to dating Monro tillers. When I bought the tiller it came with the original receipt from 1954. I wonder if you can confirm that date from the ID plate for me. Thanks

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.