New unknown rotavator

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines New unknown rotavator

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    coxey1979
    Participant

Just got home from picking up another project from the bay auction house 😉 I can’t find a makers mark there are 2 casings that have MRH 1 and MRH10. there is also a supplied by Haynes Brothers Maidstone brass stamp on there. It has a Villiers 12hs engine came with a mower attachment and a farrow. due to it being dark and it’s still in the back of my car I am attaching an edited photo from the advert. Any ideas who made it and a model so I can get researching.

Take care and stay safe, Mike

Attachments:
    rollomk6
    Participant

Hi Mike what you have is a Farmers boy Minor Rotary Hoe With a Villiers mk12 four stroke engine I have one but it has the earlier Villiers two stroke engine model 3g
    Made by Raven Engineering in kingston on Thames these were built about 1958 hope this helps

coxey1979
    Participant

Thanks Rollo, It’s even more vintage than I thought.Now my garage roof is finally fixed making room, once I have done so I will take some more photos I can see that it’s missing the depth bar so will have to fabricate one. there is a lot of surface rust thankfully no holes and only a little in the tank last time it was fired was about 40 years ago I was told it always had a weak spark so looks like I will be sending the magneto off for a rebuild.
    looking on this site and the rest of the net I can’t find any reference to the mower / flayer and haven’t worked out where the belt goes. She is a heavy beast so struggling to get it out of my car on my own hopefully mife wife mobility scooter ramp will over come.
    Take care and stay safe, Mike

rollomk6
    Participant

Hi Mike I have a brochure for that machine and i am sure it shows the mower and a mechanical hoe attachment as well as the Rotavator attached to the front . Yes my own machine although small is quite heavy and awkward good luck with your machine

hdtrust
    Participant

Have a look on that internet auction site for that scoundrel Mr Wallingfield,he has a job lot of rotavator brochures to include yours on this week!
    Kind regards
    Andrew

coxey1979
    Participant

Rollo do you have a digital copy? I did post some photos before your second comment but don’t know what happened so here goes attempt no.3

Andrew I will take a look thanks.

Take care and stay safe,
    Mike

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Mike, when uploading images the file size needs to be less than 5MB. There is a guide explaining how to do this in the Help and Information section of the forum.

rollomk6
    Participant

Hi Mike no I dont have a digital copy but could scan and email to you if you want leave me your email details in a pm to me thanks

coxey1979
    Participant

Rollo,that would be so kind, I haven’t joined fully yet so I can’t pm you my email is coxeyswoodbodgering@gmail.com

Charlie, thanks keep forgetting to adjust my phone camera.

Andrew, I found someone selling several manuals and posters etc for various machinery but only had major, minorett and mk2 tractors but not sure if it’s the same person.

I’m currently refurbishing a husqvara mower then I start disassembling the Mountfield M1 in between decorating for swmbo lol 😂 😂

vhgmcbuddy

Hi I have a M1 rotorvator with a Briggs engine starts and runs fine if you put petrol in the carberetta but it won’t start without putting it in???

coxey1979
    Participant

Kenny, Try servicing the carb, then check and clean fuel tank and replace fuel line.
    Don’t forget to service the air filter too.
    Take care and stay safe, Mike.

wristpin
    Participant

Hi I have a M1 rotorvator with a Briggs engine starts and runs fine if you put petrol in the carberetta but it won’t start without putting it in???

Really need the Model (92908?), Type and Code numbers but being on an M1 Cultivator it could be from the early 70s and quite well worn . From your description the engine is not sucking up fuel at cranking speed . Simple things, the O ring between carb and manifold has gone hard and is leaking, ditto the two ends of the pulse pipe, the choke butterfly is not shutting / sealing properly, the carb is not sealing to the tank top ( warped carb or tank face ) there is a simple cure . Then it gets more serious, valves not sealing properly and finally rings.
    I’ve just changed what’s probably a similar engine on a Hayterette from an iffy starter to a first pull wonder by fitting a cheap set of pattern rings.
    Before you do any of the above, try it with a totally full fuel tank and with the throttle just off stop.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.