MonroTiller minor

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements MonroTiller minor

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    monz
    Participant

Morning everyone. Charlie was kind enough to respond to my Rotoscythe post where I mentioned a Monro tiller. Here are some pics. I have it running, although not currently able use the pull start due to significant wear making it slip. The idle jet was pretty bunged up but after a quick clean, she’s now running. I’ve also had to cobble an air filter together as the one in the pic was dirty and loose. Any advice and comments are most welcome.

Attachments:
    monz
    Participant

If there’s any history that can be added, I’d love to hear it. I’ve not delved any deeper than the carb so far, but I have one more lever than I have cables running to the engine. Does ano know if it’s supposed to be geared?

charlie
    Keymaster

I was able to get a new air filter assembly from Meetens for a few years ago.
    Controls should be throttle on righthand side, on the left lever for swinging handlebars left and right, underneath is clutch lever.
    On my Monro Minor the locking mechanism for handle bar swing was seized.
    I have no information on dates of production or serial numbers. A magazine article I have from Amateur Gardening dated 15th Sept 1962 suggests it was a new model then.
    Later versions produced by Mechanised Gardening of Great Gransden, were called the Crunchtiller and had a different engine.

monz
    Participant

Thanks Charlie. That’s great info. There is no cable on the lever on the left hand side over the clutch at present. I’ll have a look to see if I can figure out how the handle bar swing works and fix it if I can. I’ve been changing my back garden and spent a while this afternoon using the tiller to rotivate part of my existing lawn and some of the soil that had baked….. With a big smile on my face! The only problem I had was the handle bars folding over when pushed. I’ll have a look at the locking handle soon. The handlebars have a lot of rust so Ive likely lost some material on the locating diameter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.