merry tiller info

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    moggyjim
    Participant

just bought a merry tiller for spares and i would like to get it working again. Im not sure on the engine size it is a GT Titan with gears but the cooling shroud is missing could it be a 5 or 7 hp engine i dont know what cowel will fit i have included some pics to see if that helps.

Attachments:
    gillettadam
    Participant

Ah, a good buy, I was tempted by this myself on ebay. It is a 7hp engine on these later style titan gts. First port of call for me would be to take the belt off then take the spark plug out and turn the flywheel by hand (throttle in the run position) and check for a spark. If you have a spark I’d also put a torch in the fuel tank and see what state it is in. You may need to clean the tank out. It looks like this was used with a mower or tarpen attachement or other power driven accessory as this has a vee-plex pulley. A relatively uncommon accessory. If you have a spark and a clean fuel tank then the next job is to buy a cowl!

moggyjim
    Participant

Yes is was used as a paddock mower and spent its life outside.the engine has compression and the 3 pin coil so no points to worry about.I am not sure if the cowl size varies from hp to hp so not sure what to chase down.

gillettadam
    Participant

I believe, although not an expert that the 7hp briggs is relatively rare in the UK, so you may struggle to find a 7hp cowl and recoil. I am also pretty sure though that the 8hp and maybe even the 9hp has the same size cowl and recoil and that the 8 is much more common in the UK. You might want to wait for someone more knowledgeable than I to confirm this though.

wristpin
    Participant

I had no reason to query the 7HP suggestion so was surprised to see 5HP on the attached brochure. Guess that it refers to an early version and that the GTS model designation accounts for the 7. When you find a suitable blower housing just make sure that it is “correct” for the engine or, if not , blank out the Model, Type and Code digits stamped into it, to avoid confusion if ordering parts in the future.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8sf5s8i77gm8tu/Merry%20Tiller%20Brochure0001.pdf?dl=0

gillettadam
    Participant

Wristpin, I think that I have attached the brochure that tallies with moggyjim’s machine. I believe that moggyjims machine pre dates the style shown in your brochure. The style in the brochure you showed was being produced from 1983 with some slight differences, so I imagine your brochure must be late 80s or early 80’s? Your suggestion regarding the model type and code is a good one. I have the correct model and type I can upload later on my own 7hp GT.

Attachments:
    moggyjim
    Participant

yes mine is the earlier model i have a 5hp shroud and it is miles to small. There is little wear on the machine just a shame no blower cover???

andyfrost
    Participant

If you can find anyone who is breaking a Hayter Osprey , the 7hp cowling will be OK.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

If you can find anyone who is breaking a Hayter Osprey , the 7hp cowling will be OK.

There are slight differences between the blower housing from a vertical crank and a horizontal crank engine but it will direct the cooling air and mount the recoil starter. However, to avoid future parts ID issues, note my earlier comment about erasing / modifying the Model, Type and Code Numbers embossed into it.

gillettadam
    Participant

For a 1978 Titan GT with believed original engine the numbers are as follows model 170402 type 1666 – 01 then code is 77092010. Hope this helps if you need to get spares in future

Adam

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.