Lawnmower wheel

Home Forums General Help and information Lawnmower wheel

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    brian-penfold
    Participant

I have a 7in cast iron lawnmower wheel that I dug up in a garden and I am trying to identify it, it has the name of “Guildford” in large letters on the outside of it but no other marking at all. looks like it is from a push mower as it has the grooves on the inside that a pinion gear would run on, any ideas?

charlie
    Keymaster

Could be; if you could post a photograph it might help with identification.

brian-penfold
    Participant
    Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

As you say it does look like a mower wheel. Is Guildford the model or where it was made? It might be worth sending details and a photo to Alan for inclusion in The Cultivator.

alan
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Dennis mowers are from Guildford. If it was Dennis then it would be more than likely from a gang mower – but surely Dennis would’ve put Dennis on there?

It could be a casting for a more general machine that carried numerous retailers names. Then again I could be wrong!

Any members near Guildford have any thoughts on this?

wristpin
    Participant

Dennis did come from Guildford and they did make a set of mini gangs that were known as Guildford gangs – as in Premier and Paragon cylinder mowers etc. That said, if it is from a gang I would expect it to have a rubber tyre. I think that you could well be correct in thinking that it is the remains of a small side-wheel push mower that was made for a specific retailer – as was the practice of the day.

brian-penfold
    Participant

Thanks everybody, I found the wheel under a Hydrangea bush where I was working it had been buried there to keep the flowers blue! I will try to the Cultivator to see if any other members have any ideas.

charlie
    Keymaster

Drummond also came from Guildford. It is strange that the wheel only has Guildford cast into it, suggesting it is the model name rather the makers name.

brian-penfold
    Participant

There doesn’t seem to be any markings on the inside either, where you might expect to find a makers mark, bit of a mystery.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.