Iron Horse throttle control

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Iron Horse throttle control

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    crawlersimon
    Participant

I have acquired an Anzani Iron Horse recently and have taken it out in the garden for a few short nervous test runs. These have raised an immediate question around the throttle control arrangements.

Am I correct that:
    In gear, drive to the wheels should only occur as I move the throttle lever on the handle, and conversely drive should cease (though there would still be some momentum) if I correctly ease off the throttle.

Is this “on” and “off” power a purely manual process dictated by the driver’s thumb moving the lever back and forth? Or should there be / was there ever some kind a spring loaded action to close the throttle when the driver releases the lever?

Though I can see no evidence of such a spring arrangement?

Any advice would be gratefully received! [Are there any other Iron Horse owners in striking distance of the Reading area?]

mickattwo
    Participant

I would think transmission is a centrofugal clutch so the speed is dependant on throttle control

ritual
    Participant

Hi crawlersimon,
    I have a few iron horses and they don’t have a return spring for the throttle control. You can set the throttle and it needs the operator to shut it back off to stop. I have a kill switch fitted to the handles for safety, it shorts out the magneto to stop the engine.
    I’m not too far from reading, I live near camberley

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.